Soundproofing drum room (2nd bedroom) so neighbors aren't affected too much

DivineSentiment

Here's the room. I have a budget of $3k+ a little bit more potentially. It's upstairs, about 25 feet in the air, and has newly poly-wood floors. I would rather not destroy my walls.

What's your best advice to soundproof this room? I am a metal drummer....

GO!

Attachments

• 27265857_10157016641452926_2140193219_o.jpg
    27265857_10157016641452926_2140193219_o.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 40
How far are the neighbors? Are they immediately on the other side of the outer wall?

Here's the room. I have a budget of $3k+ a little bit more potentially. It's upstairs, about 25 feet in the air, and has newly poly-wood floors. I would rather not destroy my walls.

What's your best advice to soundproof this room? I am a metal drummer....

GO!

Do you need to? Have you spoken to the neighbors to see if it even bothers them?

I would start there and then use your budget for what the real needs are.

If they are bothered start with blocking that window with as much dense materials as possible. If that doesn't work, then you will have to destroy those walls to some degree.

If they are not, then spend your money towards making that room sound good for you.

What are the dimensions of the room? As the others have said, you need to build a room-in-room but this is going to reduce the dim's by a good 150mm (6") depending on how you go about it and the resultant room might then be so small the drums will sound crap. Remember, even after building the new room you will have to treat it with acoustic material and that is going to reduce the volume even further.

Dave.

Can you use the basement instead?

Does he have a basement then? If so Ding! Dong! Only one surface to proof. He could just have drums and mics in it and run CAT5e cable to the upstairs and his recording gear. You can send 8 mics over 2 shielded cables. You can send VGA over CAT5e and use a wireless kbd and mouse.

Dave.

A room within a room is the only really way to go - but as said, the weight of it all is considerable. You need to do some serious research on the con striation of your home and if it can support the weight before you go very far.

To answer multiple questions. I don't have a large enough basement area. The garage is huge as it fits two cars with a lot of space in front. However, it's not enough space. I wanted to have the builder at a wall through the width of the garage but that would cost a lot to have it heated AND would leave my band space to be very narrow and cramped. So sadly, the lower level is not an option at this time. I haven't talked to the neighbors yet but I absolutely should introduce myself soon!

Absolutely find out first if the neighbours to see if they can hear it, how much can they hear it, if it's actually a problem, and what time of day is it a big problem

For example if the neighbours can hear a low end thud, you may get away with isolating the kit from the floor with a floating riser, say wood on top of acoustic batts, this riser will stop the kick thud /drum thud from transferring into the building structure? And maybe some absorbers around the room to kill some of the noise within the room to actually make the room quieter. And fill in the window with a removable acoustic plug.

If it's a bit problem and they can hear it heaps, forget what I said above as you then need serious isolation.

Alan.

Back