Sort of Politics - British town councils

rob aylestone

I'm intrigued if this video I made makes sense and perhaps is the same, in the US. I got really cross seeing how our local town councillors behave now their meetings are streamed. I made this video and got loads of private messages from other councillors, and members of the public who felt they couldn't say anything publicly? It seems a bit 'British' - I've seen a lot of school board US YouTube, but is there a local equivalent to this in the US? Skip to about half way through to see the yelling start.

Yes, we have City Councillors and Town Board of Selectmen in addition of all the various town specialty boards like Health, Zoning, Conservation and so forth.

My attorney had probably the best insight to the dynamic back when I was having permitting issues with the Town. People like power and having it under the guise of the public often changes people who otherwise started out with good intent. Why have power if not to exercise it. From the sounds of this conflict, it's two people with different constituencies and this was an attempt to each diminish each other's influence. Budgets are finite and these people decide where it goes. Clearly they don't like each other but ultimately, it goes beyond that. Political positioning to get the upper hand for when the real work takes place.

Pair of winners there. How do these people get elected? Maybe exposure will lead to their replacement. Good luck.

Last edited:
The woman councillor said in social media about me, i dont trust men in white trousers, so i went to one of their meetings in person. I didn’t speak but it was great fun watching the people nudge each other and point to me. Best thing is the mayor at the start of the meeting asked them all to remain civil and polite as they were under social media scrutiny, so its worked to a degree.

Back