Sonar X1 with 24 bit recording on a 16 bit mixer

Moxica

Hi there gentlemen!

I have a Steinberg CI2 which I used to record into Sonar X1 at 24 bit, 48000Khz.
Before that, I had a Yamaha intefacething that was 16bit, and there just was no headroom at all. And digital distortion is uglier than sin.

Got fed up with the cablechanging dance, so I bought an Allen & Heath Fed-10fx. (A mixer)
Info about the mixer was confusing, so I just hoped it would be capable of 24 bit recording. But no. Both the manual and the driver (asio4all) reports 16bit.

However: Since the old interface was 24 bit, the driver setting in Sonar is locked to 24 bit. (The drop-down is inactive, and can not be changed)
Here is the "good" part: When checking the individual *.wav files in the project folder, they all are 24 bit! (?) Can somebody tell me what is going on?

(However, I must enter the "Driver settings" dialogue and press Ok each time I start Sonar to get sound/activate driver)

I must add, that I do not use the default usb codec directly, but via asio4all, and that I'm very pleased with recording results. Better sound quality than the CI2. Must be the preamps.

Back