Sonar LE 8.5 + SD-50

Xav113

Hi everybody,

I'm pretty new in this world of making music with computers and stuff... I received a Mobile studio canvas ''SD-50'' (Calkwalk by Roland) with Sonar LE 8.5 last christmas. Unfortunatly, I don't really have time to play with this! Besides that, I don't really know how it works. So I'm juste wondering if someone could help me with that. I must say that I have knowledge in music. I have been playing the piano for 8 years. So talking about chords. basse lines, scales and all that stuff is not a problem for me. But anyway, I just want someone to teach me how Sonar and the SD-50 work. I've read some of the tutorials included in the DAW, but that's not enough.

I would be glad to exchange my msn with someone else.

I will ask my first question here : How can I record electric guitar using my SD-50 as a sound card. I now how to plug it and everything, but when I press the ''part'' button 3 times on the SD-50, I can't crank up the volume using the ''sens'' button... It doesn't do anything.

Thanks for your help!

P.-S. I'm sorry if some of my sentences aren't grammatically good. English is not my first language so I guess that you can understand the situation !
Edit : I've also posted this thread into the '' Newbie '' section, but you know....

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the SD-50, but it should (from what I've glanced over) be sufficient as a sound card.

Are you getting a signal into Sonar? Are you plugging your guitar directly in or are you using some sort of guitar processor? I'm not sure I really follow you when you say you're not able to 'crank up the volume'.

You might want to visit the cakewalk forums if you haven't already ( Cakewalk.com ) They have a section dedicated to Roland/Cakewalk hardware... You might be able to get some answers there... :)

Hi BentRabbit!

I don't get any signal into Sonar, I plug my guitar directly into the ''mic/guitar in'' plug on the SD-50. When I say '' crank the volume up '' I mean : adjusting the input level. If I look in my SD-50 manual they say :
1. Press the [Part] button a number of times to access the audio part screen. The level meters will appear.
2. Turn the [SENS] knob to adjust the input volume.
----------
When I do that it doesn't change anything. I wonder if it's not because my keyboard is plugged into the SD-50. Maybe that there are 2 signals and that it mess up eveything? Also, it may be because I don't do the good thing into Sonar..?
I have already been on cakewalk forum, but I haven't found anything interesting, maybe I should try again..
Anyway... I'm going to continu to read the tutorials in the help section of Sonar.. I guess that I'll find my probleme someday..

Thank you for your answer!

Have you set the 'Input' in Sonar of whichever channel you're trying to record to accept input from the SD-50?
The Input drop down of your track should reflect all the audio interfaces Sonar recognizes...

SonarInput.jpg

I suggest getting the "Sonar 8 Power Book" by Scott Garrigus.

Way better and more informative than the manual.

Anyway, like was said before, you need to get Sonar to recognize the SD-50. But it sounds like you've got that part figured out.
Go to Options > Audio and click on the "general" tab.

The dropdown menu should display all the soundcard(s) available for use.

Select the SD-50 as your playback and record timing master. Next, click on the "Advanced" tab and select ASIO if ASIO drivers are available; they should provide best performance in most instances. Go back to the "general" tab and click on the ASIO panel. Set your buffers at 512 in the ASIO panel. Go to the "drivers" tab and select the SD-50 drivers for input and output. Deselect drivers for other soundcards. These settings only apply to Sonar.

Now go back to Track View and select an audio track. Select the SD-50 for input and output. Set your levels on the SD-50 and you should see the meter(s) move when you strum the guitar.

The low level issue could be related to the little toggle switch on the back of the SD-50. Be sure it is set to "guitar" and not mic.

I am gonna assume you have the keyboard plugged in to the "line in" TRS jack. Having both a guitar and a keyboard plugged at the same time shouldn't cause any problem.

Also search on YouTube for tutorials. If you're having problems with it chances are someone else did also and they found a fix and put it up on YT.

Thanks For your help guys, I'm going to try your suggestion, C7sus :P

Edit : I've finally found the problem :P!

When I press 4 time on the '' part '' button of the SD-50, there's a menu called : Audio setting. Under that, it's written : Mic input sw (I guess sw means switch?) OFF. If I change '' OFF '' for '' ON '', it works :D
Anyway, thanks again!

Last edited:
Back