Sonar 7 / Vista

smitty265

Can anyone comment on how stable Sonar 7 is with Windows Vista? I've tried the demo and it seems pretty solid but I wonder what the experiences of others are.

My friend is running Sonar 7 on an HP Desktop with Vista and it seems to be rock solid. We've recorded, played and mixed with no problems.

Programs are not the major problem with Vista; its hooking up any outboard gear (soundcards, mixers, etc.)

Just make sure that all your interface devices have Vista compatible drivers.

....then get ready to do it again: Vista goes bye-bye in 18months when Windows7 comes out.....

Been running SONAR 7 on Vista for about 6 months with no problems after initial set up. As others have said, make sure you have latest drivers available and transition will go very smoothly.

In fact, moving to Vista actually solved a problem I was having with the drivers for my MOTU 2408 Mk3. Under XP, anytime I powered down for more than a minute or two, XP would drop the driver and I would have to go through the reinstall routine (Pull the PCI-424 card, load the driver, reinstall the card, boot up). Now under Vista using the same hardware, same computer, same slot, everything works fine... Go figger!!! :)

Programs are not the major problem with Vista; its hooking up any outboard gear (soundcards, mixers, etc.)

Just make sure that all your interface devices have Vista compatible drivers.

....then get ready to do it again: Vista goes bye-bye in 18months when Windows7 comes out.....

windows 7 beta tester review http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/os-software-firmware-and-bios/46152-windows-7-my-first-few-hours.html

"A good thing is that all my vista drivers work for everything under 7." < yeah right !!!

You can use an operating system as long as you want as long as your motherboard will allow you to install it. Just because Microsoft will be releasing Windows 7 doesn't mean you have to switch to that. If you want to still use Vista, then go for it.

I'm using XP and look how old that is.

Hey Man,

I'm having big trouble intalling my VST plug-ins using Vista 64. It's not allowing me to install the wave effects OR it installs it but can't read the effect when I'm in Sonar. Can you help me steer clear of this problem?

Hoserlover

I have been using Sonar7 under Vista for some time, the only problem I ever had was an occasional blue screen of death. but, that was because of crappy E-MU drivers.

Hey Man,

I'm having big trouble intalling my VST plug-ins using Vista 64. It's not allowing me to install the wave effects OR it installs it but can't read the effect when I'm in Sonar. Can you help me steer clear of this problem?

Hoserlover

I gave up on Vista 64 over a year ago. I found that a lot of drivers and plugins are not compatible with 64 but are compatible with 32. 64 performed a little bit better, but I didn't find it to be worth the hassle.

I'm not running 7, but x64 Sonar 8 under Vista 64. Just recently got everything configured and my main issue has been certain VST plugs.

The issue seems to center around what's called "Teleport Server" which seems to be tied with Bitbridge. What happens is typically if the plug has some kind of authorization, the auth screen won't pop up like it's supposed to. Happened with my Sampletank plugin and I found a work-around on the Cakewalk forums. Seems that newer .dll files for the plugs are working better *gradually*, but it's hit or miss. What seems to work is to install the plugs in a 32-bit application - I used Reaper for this purpose. The 32-bit Sonar seems to load the x64 Plugin Manager for some reason, so I simply installed Reaper, installed the VST plugs, authorized the plugs, then specified the plug folders in x64 Sonar...whammo. Worked like a charm.

Other than plug issues, x64 Sonar is running great for me. I'm overall happy with my Vista config over the XP Pro config I was using. Definitely snappier and more stable thus far. Driver for hardware are a KEY issue - make sure you have the latest 64-bit drivers (if available). If no 64, you're out of luck unless you're simply running Vista 32.

To the OP: if you do make it back to this thread, Vista 32 and the 32-bit Sonar should be a bit easier to cope with.

Last edited:
Sonar 7+ tascam 1641+Vista= latency problems that I have yet to fully resolve. XP was rock solid for the last 2 years. Going to try 7 soon.

Back