Something in the water - Indie/alt folk song

mcmac74

Hi

New one up here for...taken quite some time to get it anywhere near ready as there's a fair bit of piano/ synth strings work on this which I'm barely proficient at. As always I'd appreciate feedback on the mix as it's not been mastered yet.

Cheers, Mark

Very wav-v-v-v-y and meditative. I like the reverb on the vocal but the vocal seems too loud, IMO. The synths and keys sound good to me.

Very wav-v-v-v-y and meditative. I like the reverb on the vocal but the vocal seems too loud, IMO. The synths and keys sound good to me.
Thanks for the listen...I've only just mixed this and posted it before listening on a few other devices, car stereo usually being the determining factor. Gotta say I didn't like the reverb on my vocal much when I put it on there...too much and not completely inside the song...maybe the reason it feels too up front to you.

Mark

Gotta say I didn't like the reverb on my vocal much when I put it on there...too much and not completely inside the song...maybe the reason it feels too up front to you.

Mark
I agree with your own assessment. :)

Thinking the drums are a bit loud.

So you have the elements of loud really wet vocals, and loud really dry drums.

It tends not to be cohesive with the music bed.

But that’s just one person’s opinion.

It might be awesome for an ‘indie stoner laid back’ audience. In my mind I can see hippie chicks swaying back and forth to the rhythm after a bong hit. ;)

It might be awesome for an ‘indie stoner laid back’ audience. In my mind I can see hippie chicks swaying back and forth to the rhythm after a bong hit. ;)
Ha! ...it probably couldn't be further...its based on walking the South Coast path with my kid and there were definitely no bongs involved 😁
Thanks for the listen and the loudness of the drums is also on my radar to have a look at. Always amazes me the difference between what you hear back on decent cans and how that sound translates to how others will hear it in car etc.

Mark

Ha! ...it probably couldn't be further...its based on walking the South Coast path with my kid and there were definitely no bongs involved 😁
Thanks for the listen and the loudness of the drums is also on my radar to have a look at. Always amazes me the difference between what you hear back on decent cans and how that sound translates to how others will hear it in car etc.

Mark
well, that just shows it’s working as a piece of art. :) that was the picture it painted in my head. As if I’m not even a bong head
Long distant past. ;)

I think it’ll be much better once the changes are made . 👍🏼

And yeah, that’s always the challenge, how it translates.

I've had a look at the vocal reverb and some levels as suggested. Drums down and more compression, main synth toned down a touch...much happier with this new version and reckon the vocal sits pretty well in the song now...Not mastered yet as wanna get those things sat well.....Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers, mark

I like this version better.

The reduced reverb still sounds good, but the vocal is somewhat piercing in spots.. a little too dynamic

At these points :

:26-:27
:46
1:52
2:16-2:18
2:28-2:31

I would try punching in on a new track with better positioning on the mic while singing (backing away on those louder parts), or just singing them softer the second time.

Second version is better than the first, so you're moving in the right direction. Vocal is still too up front and has too much reverb, imo.

What I can hear of the guitar(s) sounds pretty good. I'd bring that out more. As stated by others, the components of the mix sound like they're all in different places. The reverb on the vocals is a part of this. You need to give everything more cohesion. You want it to sound like everything is in the same room.

I like this version better.

The reduced reverb still sounds good, but the vocal is somewhat piercing in spots.. a little too dynamic

At these points :

:26-:27
:46
1:52
2:16-2:18
2:28-2:31

I would try punching in on a new track with better positioning on the mic while singing (backing away on those louder parts), or just singing them softer the second time.
Thanks for taking the time to point those out Spantini. A couple I was aware of and a couple I wasn't...its always so useful to get those new ears on it!
Second version is better than the first, so you're moving in the right direction. Vocal is still too up front and has too much reverb, imo.
Thanks for the listen...I'm usually being told to pull up the vocals so that makes a nice change 😉...

Material is good ... as is the performance; but your levels between your elements are off. The band is down the street while the singer is in the front yard.

Material is good ... as is the performance; but your levels between your elements are off. The band is down the street while the singer is in the front yard.
Thanks for the listen ...I spent some fair time playing around with the reverb vst (Dragonfly) as well as playing around with some chorus, delay, stereo width etc to try and get this vocal sitting better. As usual, the nuance gets difficult to decipher and you stop being able to listen with fresh ears.Late on I wondered if the reverb on the piano and guitars were creating too much separation so backed that off along with a touch of delay. To my tired ears that brought the vocal into the same room/ house/ suburb. I might be imagining it though. The vocal is still forward in the mix but I feel sits better. Any thoughts very welcome.

Listen to Something in the water 28 - 04 - 22 V4 by The Mountain Telegraphs on #SoundCloud

I listened to the new mix. Lead voc is still out front in a different space than everything else. I have my phones (which are studio Senns) cranked, and everything is still off a bit in the distance.

Thanks for listening in again...are you thinking too much reverb on the vocal or is it an effect thats creating the separation? There is a touch of chorus on the vocal....or it just too prominent?. Have to admit I'm struggling with this one. Tried a number of things for the last mix including different reverb and eq but although it changed things, it didn't get any closer.

Thanks for listening in again...are you thinking too much reverb on the vocal or is it an effect thats creating the separation? There is a touch of chorus on the vocal....or it just too prominent?. Have to admit I'm struggling with this one. Tried a number of things for the last mix including different reverb and eq but although it changed things, it didn't get any closer.

That's part of it. You've got the vocalist in a church somewhere while the band is out in the back parking lot. Bring them into the same space.

That's part of it. You've got the vocalist in a church somewhere while the band is out in the back parking lot. Bring them into the same space.
I think (hope) I've moved some way towards that with this latest mix. Eq on the vocal has been tweaked and a different reverb added. I've doubled it in some parts, not noticeably I hope, but adds some depth. I've mastered this latest effort so it has a fair bit more body and volume to it.

Listen to Something In The Water Master 08 - 05 - 22 by The Mountain Telegraphs on #SoundCloud

Mark

I think (hope) I've moved some way towards that with this latest mix. Eq on the vocal has been tweaked and a different reverb added. I've doubled it in some parts, not noticeably I hope, but adds some depth. I've mastered this latest effort so it has a fair bit more body and volume to it.

Listen to Something In The Water Master 08 - 05 - 22 by The Mountain Telegraphs on #SoundCloud

Mark
NOW you're moving in the right direction. You've set the vocal in the pocket of the music versus distinctly separate from everything else. MUCH IMPROVED.

Back