Some blues from Caracas...

orlball

Hey folks, I have this new song called "Blues del Hombre Paciente", if you can listen and tell me what you think (by the way, it's been recorded with analog equipment). There are 3 more songs at my site as well, but these 3 really need some fixes. Some of you have listened to these mixes already (except for "Blues del hombre...") and have given me some good advices that I need to put in practice, but at least listen to "Blues del Hombre Paciente" if you have the chance. It's at http://www.mp3.com/proyorlball

Thanks
orlball

I think the biggest problem is the timing. The recordings aren't tight enough. Thats true for for all of the songs more or less, not that much for Ave de Casa, which I relly liked.

Keep it up!

yeah, regebro mentioned timing...also, the song was too fastly played in my opinion...I wish the harmonica could come up on the left more and have some bended notes...enjoyed the slide....gibs

I'm a Blues fan, and play some as well, and even though alot of Blues is the same, everyone has a different take on it. And I enjoy hearing the different takes. I thought the harmony was cool in some parts as well as the slide. As far as the timing that the other guys mentioned, I think your timing as a musician is probably good, but I think regebro said "not tight enough" and I think this is more accurate. Sometimes you have to really listen to your tracks before you mix them. I know in my case, sometimes I'm so busy listening to tones, levels, eq, etc. that I won't notice something obvious until I mix, or even worse, after I mix. Do you use a metronome, this will help, also, watch your monitor mix when your laying down your tracks and make sure you can hear the breaks and changes on the other instruments well. With that said, don't get the wrong idea, I enjoyed the song, pretty catchy......peace....Ray J

Thanks for your comments. I was listening again to 'Blues del Hombre Paciente', more carefully, and noticed that in fact, the beat for the song doesn't keep enoughly tight through all of it, and I think I'm going to record it again using some metronome on the background (but not recording it, of course). For the other 3 songs, I had already planned to record new mixes for them (hope to do it soon) because these are relatively old recordings. I think that when I found out how to convert mixes from cassette to mp3 and put them in the Internet (and the thrill that comes with it), I went in a rush and did it maybe without carefully checking out the original mixes first. These things happen, but I'm working again on all of these songs.

orlball

I know exactly what you mean. I am gonna post some stuff on MP3.com soon and I find myself rushing and compromising some tracks because I'm anxious to get something up there. It takes discipline to keep retracking until it's right thats for sure.

Back