Solo Bass Project

thelowend

Hi

So I'm new here. I've been a bass player for 8 years and used to play Progressive/Thrash/Stoner Doom Metal. I haven't played much over the last 3 years since I was starting a new job and got married etc. Now I have the bandwidth to invest some time and money in a solo bass project. I would love to be in a band again but as of now, I don't have the flexibility to do that. So I decided to start composing and recording on my own at home. Here's the gear I'll be using:

1. ESP AX 104 Active Bass and P Type Copy Passive Bass
2. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Interface
3. Behringer Ultra DI 600
4. Digitech BP 200 Pedal (really old pedal but it's built like a brick !)
5. Warwick 30 W Bass Amp

I use Ableton as my DAW and also have Guitar Rig 5 installed on my PC (Win 7 64-bit, 4 GB Ram, AMD Quad core).

My basic recording idea is to have a drum track, a slap bass track for the groove and a soloing track for finger bass. The closest sound I can think of is something like this band called Toast Machine.

Now I have a few ideas for recording:

1. Use the clean DI and run it through Guitar Rig for the slap bass track. An alternative is using the Digitech pedal directly into the interface (I haven't faced any clipping issues with direct Guitar>>2i2). If I use the pedal, I'll try to mike my combo amp as well. The only problem with this is that my amp is very much a practice amp and I record in my living room (no audio treatment)

2. For the finger bass track, I'll most probably be driving it through Guitar Rig. Really like some of the presets for finger bass. Some of the guitar presets work great with bass as well.

3. Drums. The most difficult thing for me to figure out really. For now, I'm editing MIDI loops in Ableton and trying to adjust velocity/compression to get a more realistic drum sound. But I know that I've a long way to go here. I'm also trying to get an ex-band mate to pitch in (he has a electronic kit with MIDI input).

I'll post some samples as soon as I'm able to bring a few ideas to fruition.

Would appreciate any inputs on similar projects or even general feedback. Cheers !

Back