Software VS Hardware?

Jaxxhits

Just a survey. Which one do you prefer to use in making any kinds of electronic music?:)
Can yo mention the advantages and disadvantages? Thanks

I'm a controllerist.

So software and controller > hardware for me by trade :D

I just like the flexibility and affordability of the software route. I love/collect/try out all controllers and software that I can. I also like the challenge in software, controllers, mapping, and the like.
Here's a quote: "My studio was lo-fi by necessity; I was fourteen with no reliable income. I was monitoring my music using $100 Logitech speakers, and I only used software. My room was completely untreated and as a result I’m unconvinced by the 'supreme analogue hardware' mythology that is needed to achieve a good musical result.
What's more important than having a hyper-accurate system, perfect room, and obscure soviet synths that can't stay in-fucking-tune, is knowing your system and working hard."

But that's not to say hardware sucks. Not at all. The technology in controllers and software is what initially pulled me in to electronic music (as a self proclaimed computer nerd and tech head), but there is certainly a learning curve vs. twisting knobs and figuring things out relatively simply on a piece of non digital hardware. There is some interesting hardware out there I'd like to get my hands on at some point.
Like the moog minitaur or the elektron stuff.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CrowsofFritz again."

Have a +1

For the sake of starters, beginners, these are additional info's about SOFTWARE VS Hardware(compiled answers) Tell me if you agree or not
Software
1. Cheap, portable, convenient, no need for tracking, resources are everywhere online, doesnt consume any space.
Hardware
1. Lesser options(less distracting), NO audio latency, and its something PHYSICAL(somethign you can really hold, gets you more satisfied)
Compare compare....:eatpopcorn:

For the sake of starters, beginners, these are additional info's about SOFTWARE VS Hardware(compiled answers) Tell me if you agree or not
Software
1. Cheap, portable, convenient, no need for tracking, resources are everywhere online, doesnt consume any space.
Hardware
1. Lesser options(less distracting), NO audio latency, and its something PHYSICAL(somethign you can really hold, gets you more satisfied)
Compare compare....:eatpopcorn:
Some pretty good points there.

I don't know if I agree with everything under the software cloud.
I wouldn't say that software is cheap. Quality and legal software isn't. I'd say the average price for a program would be $300/400.
I mean, in the long run if you go for bundles, yeah. But if you're running with software you need a computer. A decent enough one of those will run a person at least $500.
I also don't know that a laptop w/charger, with reaktor or some other program(s), an interface, some headphones, a controller, and a bunch of cables is more portable than say, something like a Roland SP404 with some headphones, you know?
So that part is dependent on what a person does.

Thanks Henry!

And I'd like to add a bit here.

I've noticed that hardware is unique, and most software is sterile (not to be used as a demeaning term) unless the plug-in is trying to emulate hardware gear. I find I could get the sound of most hardware gear I've used with software. I just need to use 2, 3, maybe 4 plugs to emulate ONE piece of hardware gear!

Back