Software to record sound from computer

Muka

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this. Please relocate this post if necessary.
I am looking for either software or hardware to record any could that is coming out of the Headphone jack from my computer. Any help will really be appreciated. Thanks!

Audacity (download from ninite.com)

But it is a bit of a faff. Assuming Windows 7 you need to have Win sound set to "STEREO MIX (IDT HIGH DEFINITON)" .

In Audacity go> Edit> Preferences and set Host for "Windows Direct Sound" set Playback for "Speakers andHeadphones (IDT Hig...blah....)
Recording for "Stereo Mix (IDT ........) ..OK.

Hit File "new" (assuming you can hear the HP output) open menu next to the microphone icon and "start monitoring". You should now see a level meter Jodrelling about. Assuming you have levels, hit the record blob.
NB any one of a dozen things can bork this process. I took me all of ten minutes to set this up on my laptop and I have been "at it" for years!

Also, the recorded level is dependant on the volume set in Windows so you might want a dummy plug for the headphone socket or put the cans under the duvet. Also note that Audacity has its own file system, to play stuff elsewhere, WMP for example, "export as" .wav files.

If you want to do this on a desktop PC then a decent soundcard make it much easier and they don't come any decent'er than the M-Audio 2496 for the money.

Good luck!

Should also have said...Kill Windows sounds otherwise you will have operational bleeps amd bloops over everything.

Dave.

Back