Software Instruments Sound Bad in Mono

KatieHullMusic

I have this song that I'm working on and decided to switch it mono to hear what it sounds like. All the vocals and drums sound the same but all of the software instrument synths and pianos are hollowed out and sound terrible. I don't have them panned or anything so I assume it's the sample (I'm using Logic X)? I rarely use synths or software instruments, so this is a new problem for me. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ah, the classic stereo-to-mono problem(s) we all experience at some point - our sounds disappearing!

Basically - you're experiencing phase issues.
For whatever reason, stereo sounds pertaining to you virtual instruments has caused them to kind of... cancel each other out.

...I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to other forums on this site, so I'll just copy & paste some responses:
"Phase compatibility. If a mix has tracks that are partially out of phase (left vs. right) in certain frequencies, when summed to mono it will partially null in those frequencies." Here is some other recommended reading material.

Since you don't have it panned, it's more than likely an issue with whatever synth/piano patch(es) you're using.

Try to have a look around in the patch settings and see if there are any sort of stereo effect (a "width" or "space" knob or something like that) that's causing it.

Unfortunately I'm not experienced as the others here when it comes to troubleshooting from afar so I'm not of much help. People who know more than me will be here to help soon. I'm looking forward to what you all have to say too btw (so I'll know what to do if/when I run into the same problem) :D

Back