Software choppy to work with while recording/playback

jayess

Hi,

I just bought Sonar 7 producer edition and I have a little problem. When I navigate throught the software, everything is smooth. As soon as I start playback something or recording, the progress bar is choppy, moving sliders is a real pain et clicking menus is worst. How in the hell can I make adjustment while playback if I can't be precise ?

Here's my setup :
PODxt --> USB --> PC

PC spec :
Windows XP
Pentium IV 3.0gig
RAM 1.5gig

BTW, I was working with guitar track pro 3 before and it was silky smooth :D

Did you profile your soundcard? Are you using the POD as a virtual instrument and using the PODs soundcard? If so you may have to disable your computers soundcard in Windows hardware device manager. If you are not using the POD as a virtual instrument have you tried plugging the pod (using audio out) into your system's soundcard inputs and using analog signal for recording.

Just some thoughts, Sonar can be a bitch to setup initially.

My PODxt is my soundcard and my PCI soundcard was disabeled (and still is of course). The software is acting like it was struggling for ressources, but my CPU usage is like at 5% or less and I have more than 12 gig avaible on my HDD:confused::confused::confused:

Maybe look into 'latency settings'...maybe try ASIO drivers (if you're using WDM)...maybe see if there are any updates you haven't installed.

Hum, that is wierd...Opened up Sonar again this morning, works like a charm (the progress bar went smooth again, the controls, etc.) Ever happen to you guys before ?

I set the way up, where it says that it safe (asio drivers btw).

Once again, the recording was good and playback too. But when trying to do post production stuff, that was really clunky, choppy, laggy, whatevery :D.

This morning, everything was fine ????!!!! :confused::confused::confused:.

I'll try again later and keep posted for update, if anyone is interested.

I just posted this to another thread, but sounds similar to a problem I had:
On a couple Sonar upgrades - 3 to 4 and 4 to 6 - I had to upgrade my video drivers to stop visually twitchy playback. I can't remember for sure if the faders behaved like yours, but that seemed familiar when I read it in your post.

the wierd thing is, that "problem" never occured again. Maybe I didn't notice that my windows or anti-virus was updating at the time. Now it runs smoothly, even with 3-4 pod farm plugin-in running altogether

If your audio was playing just fine, but the Now Time marker was jumping ahead about a measure for each jump, you probably accidentally hit the "pause", or "Scroll" button on your QWERTY keyboard. I forget which one right now. It puts Sonar in a mode which lowers the demand on the CPU. Read about it in the "Help" file. This is my first post here. I'm usually on the Cakewalk Forum. Hope this helped.

Back