soft psychedelic indie ... feedback please!

astralsamara

https://soundcloud.com/astral-samara/circle-of-karma/s-PrFht (private link let me know if it doesnt work)

This was recorded in my bedroom and basement on a 58, 57 and a mxl 990. Recorded, mixed and mastered in ableton.
Instrumentation is guitar, voice, electric piano, drum kit, digital perc, bass guitar and synthesizer, one man band style.

I would love feedback on all aspects of the mix, the composition and the performance. I find it difficult to critique myself once I get too deep into the process (too many listens at different stages). I'm new here and its great that something like this exists, ill do my best to give others feedback as well! Thanks so much!

Holy crap, I love this song. Very reminiscent of Deerhunter, Atlas Sound, or even Tame Impala. All of the elements are there for a song to appeal to an indie fan like me.

But the mix needs work. The vocals are way too thin. They need body, they sound like they've been hi-passed at much too high of a frequency. I have an MXL990, and I know that they have a very prominent high end, but they're also capable of picking up body to an instrument or voice. Take a close look at the vocal EQ. Start over with the vocal EQ, and only remove what needs to be removed. If anything, the high end can use some attenuation with that mic. Any super low frequency rumble can go, but don't ditch the body of the vocals.

The bass guitar is all alone in the low end. The guitars, drums, vocal...well, everything is totally absent in the low end. Take a break from this mix for a day or so, listen to some professional mixes as reference in the meantime, and then come back to this one.

I really do like this song though, it's worth getting a better mix to suit it.

Awesome! Thanks for the kind words and I will probably take a swing at the EQs tonight. This was exactly what I needed to hear!

Can't add anything of that much sustance over Tad's comment - he's right about it being all highs though.

The way the weird flangy guitar sinks over to the left after a couple of seconds is a bit weird though then it moves around a bit more. Seems to drift to the centre then out again. Actually getting used to it now - quite a cool effect although when the other guitar with the volume swells comes in just before the 4:00 min mark they don't sit together very well.

There's a slight mistake in the bass playing at about 2:18

That flanger moving around is really distracting.

The song is kinda long for never changing much. I got bored by 1 minute mark. :/
That's a composition thing, though, and I'm not sure you want any commentary on that. The mix sounded pretty good from what i heard (a minute or so) except the flanger moving.

That flanger moving around is really distracting.

The song is kinda long for never changing much. I got bored by 1 minute mark. :/
That's a composition thing, though, and I'm not sure you want any commentary on that. The mix sounded pretty good from what i heard (a minute or so) except the flanger moving.

def into composition critiques. I added a little flair in the intro, maybe it will be slightly more exciting now...

@Jdod good ear, thanks!

The second mix is an improvement. The vocals are still pretty thin tho.

I don't mind the flange guitar wandering around in the panning. It can be a cool idea, but a few notes on it:
- It's obvious that you're having it swing left to get out of the way of the vocals. I don't think that's a good pattern.
- It's a very dominant instrument in the mix. That sort of thing works better with something that isn't a primary instrument. (Or the most important instrument as a gimmick)

As things start to layer up, I feel like the snare might get a little buried.

Good use of effects on the vox to add variety. You might want to consider doing similar things to other instruments too. Maybe switch up the drum pattern a little. Maybe make the bass do something wacky at a key point since it's so loud in the mix.

Back