So long Tom. Thanks for the joy your music brought.

Great voice and performance.

The acoustic guitar is really "spiky" and harsh. It sounds over-compressed. So you can take some limiting/compression off the mix, or EQ out some highs.

Great voice and performance.

The acoustic guitar is really "spiky" and harsh. It sounds over-compressed. So you can take some limiting/compression off the mix, or EQ out some highs.

The reason it is spiky and harsh is because there is absolutely no processing on the channel. Nothing. No eq and no compression.

You did correctly note that all I have as effects are on the main bus ... including brickwall compression -- which keeps the dynamics of the performance, but allows individual channels to "be what they are" ... and my direction was, that way.

I kept true to the original by keeping everything REALLY dry. The vocal is first pass -- and as Trip will (if he checks in) note, there are a couple of clicks and pops.

Good call, N. I will attend. Thank you.

This took me less than a hour to put together.

You did correctly note that all I have as effects are on the main bus ... including brickwall compression -- which keeps the dynamics of the performance, but allows individual channels to "be what they are" ... and my direction was, that way.

That explains it. I was going to originally write to compress the guitar to tame it, but then at the same time it felt so loud and spiky that I figured it must have already been compressed. I was hearing the brickwall on the main buss, I guess.

I'd personally compress the acoustic just a little on the individual tracks and back off a lot on the buss/brickwall. The EQ suggestion might change as you lower the volume, but right now the highs are just a bit too brittle and chimey. I think it's the buss compressor doing that, though.

I had no problem with the dry vocal. I really enjoyed the vocal performance...it was kinda like Dylan. Loose in a good way and a unique timbre.

No processing the vocal at all ... also.

This was ... outside of main buss compression ... pretty off the mic.

But I totally appreciate your input. Thanks, N.

Nice listen.

He's sorely missed. One of my musical heroes for sure.

Me too. I've played a lot of his material in various bands over the years. American Girl is my daughter's official theme song.

Tamed the git via eq this morning -- as per NOLA's suggestion.

I brought the vocal forward a smidge, and dropped the keys slightly back too.

Thanks for the comment!

Quick throw together this afternoon. I just learned the piece this morning ...

I think Tom would smile as he listened to your remake of his audio. Very well done! Do you have any other audio links for your music? I would love to check them out.

I think Tom would smile as he listened to your remake of his audio. Very well done! Do you have any other audio links for your music? I would love to check them out.

Thanks Mack!

If you click on "Who We Are" (my band) on the player, you'll bounce to my Soundcloud page. You'll find my page dotted w/ stuff off my solo projects as well as live recordings of original material I'm performing w/ the group. There are also other covers scattered throughout -- as the group is not shy about doing interesting vocal harmonies.

I just set up our UI24r to record new original material that we're working on. More will be posted as that effort moves along.

I was not a huge fan of him, but there were certainly songs I liked. SNL did a rerun when the Heartbreakers were on ~1979 maybe? That was really cool - they were, at that time, a kick-ass garage band. Or at least that's what they seemed like to me. I'm a big enough fan to know this one.

I know it was a quick one. It sounds like it. :) A bit boxy. Some swirliness in the vocal.

Yeah, the vocal is pretty darn close, but not in a "trying to be someone else" kind of way. Just a nice natural fit for Tom's tunes. I hear a different space between the acoustic and the instruments that come in a couple mins into it. And I'm pretty sure you changed up some of the root notes during the intro and verse, held onto them longer and maybe not in the original order. Still very good. Nice work man.

Thanks Mack! I just set up our UI24r to record new original material that we're working on. More will be posted as that effort moves along.

I downloaded your "Ripples" album last night. INCREDIBLE! If you have a PayPal account, PM it to me! As good as I have ever heard bar none!

Enjoyed it Kev. Don't actually know this one. His first 2 albums (with the Heartbreakers) were my favourite but he certainly wrote some rockin anthems down the years.

I downloaded your "Ripples" album last night. INCREDIBLE! If you have a PayPal account, PM it to me! As good as I have ever heard bar none!

Oh god no. Download them all for free. Then share everything I do with everyone you know. That's how you can pay me. Glad you liked!

Enjoyed it Kev. Don't actually know this one. His first 2 albums (with the Heartbreakers) were my favourite but he certainly wrote some rockin anthems down the years.

Jeez Kier -- been a while, huh? Glad you're still at it. In real life, I'm going to start a duo w/ Wayne G from RP. Life is funny. :D

Back