So I mixed it myself... opinions?

xotsx

Alright, I posted before about having someone here mix our new EP... but with the responses I got I decided to take it on myself. I think it turned out pretty well. Let me know what you think.

Well - underneath the general overcompression to the whole track, you've got this flangy, phasey sound happening on the cymbals (not a good thing), nor is there any real definition to anything but the guitars.

The toms have this nasty ringing that keeps jumping up during some of the fills, but otherwise they get really buried.

As well, you've got a few pops and clicks here and there.....

Not a bad effort, but also not pro-sounding by any stretch!

Pretty good

I think this is overal pretty good

You really nailed the guitar sound - except the stereo thing where one guitar is only on the right side and stuff.. You're obviously the guitarist (or he helped you mix the thing) because you can hardly hear anything except the guitar. The crashes are okay, but the snare and toms have all but disapeared. The voice is a little bit far behind but this is over all pretty good.

Nice job

great guitar sound!....just bring out the drums and vocals a bit more and it will sound way more balanced....but i have to say im jealous of the distortion, mind if i ask how u got that sound?

He didn't pull any punches and gave you an honest and professional opinion...what Bear said.

Compared to the "power" aspect of this sweet tune, the drums are quite lost. The guitars get all the focus which sound nice btw. The bass is kinda muddy it needs a little tightening up. If it were me, I would back up and just work the drums out for awhile...they have some really nice technical parts which I wish could be heard a little more clearly.

The singer needs a glass of water...someone get him a glass of water please :D . Just kidding.

thanks

Yeah, I actually was having trouble with the toms because they weren't close mic'ed. They just came from the overheads and I'm having trouble getting them as loud as I want them. I ended up cutting the toms into a seperate track, but I think it's sound kinda weird.

The cymbals may be a phase issue with my 2 overheads, i'll check that out.

As far as the guitars (those of you who liked them) We just used a Peavey XXX and 5150 through marshall cabs. Mic'ed with a sm57 off axis on one speaker and got a pretty killer natural sound. I'm going to mess with panning more toward the center to even out the mix.

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I'll definitely be working on it more and post an update.

Since you mention difficulty tracking the drums. Maybe a simpler set up would help. How about just the OH's, a snare, a hihat and a kick and one out front. I'm thinking since you can't close mic everything ala power kit style, maybe go for a more natural sounding set up. That way the toms wouldn't get so lost. It might bring out a better balance in the set....a few gates a little EQ a little tweak here-n-there and call it good.

Just a thought

Back