So I bought an old Ludwig 32 inch concert bass drum....now what?

dreib

I honestly didn't realize how freakin big this thing was/is till I got it home, plus it is amazingly light. Looks to be maple with reinforcement rings maybe just 4 ply. Gold sparkle , missing the badge, havent opened it up yet to look for a stamp. The shell was cracked at some point but repaired well, meaning its true, shape wise, the covering sucks.

My first thought was to stick some lights in it and make it into a coffee table, but the drummer in me says maybe build a weird set out of orphaned drums.

My wife rolled her eyes, anyone got some great ideas?

It only cost $50.00.

I figured at least someone would call me an idiot?

Its going to be a table I think since I cant find any heads beyond Ambassador types.

I did a bass drum coffee table. had a disc of tempered glass done for it. The space between the glass I display favorite music trinkets, you know signed sticks or whatever. It never fails to start a conversation.

Do what Tommy Lee does - mount a normal kick drum inside of it and use it on-stage to look badass.

72939341.jpg

I may stuff a pillow in it and throw pedal on it just to see what it sounds like but there's no way Im going to stuff another drum in it , Im way too lazy and have very little vanity left.

Yeah, that's not going to work for a set. Concert bass drums are a completely different animal than your typical kick drum. New heads alone will cost more than you paid for that drum, and you aren't going to find them at a guitar shop.

Steve Weiss or Percussion Source would be a good place to look if you want to fix it up, but you'd need a new pair of heads, a big ol' felt beater, and some kind of mounting system if you don't already have it. If you were wanting to put all of that into it, you could throw it behind your kit and use it for special effects kinda like how some drummers back in the day used gongs on their kits. (I seem to remember Bonham using a Tam Tam, so anything could be justifiable)

It could make for some cool special effects percussion, but if you don't want to put all that time money into it, I say make a table.

Back