Small sized keys keyboards... yuck!

YanKleber

Retired
I am a guitar player and after to record my first two albums programming all the synths using my PC keyboard I thought that it was time to get a MIDI controller. So I ordered a nice Arturia Minilab 3 thinking that it would be enough for my needs. Damn. The little thing is wild, very good quality and delivers what he promises but... I really wasn't thinking right when I bought it. The small keys are really a problem for my big hands and the 2-octave extension definitely makes my claustrophobia screams.

After several weeks using it (and suffering) I figured out that the store where I bought it reserved me the right of returning it without asking questions and with a full cashback within a 30 days period since I had everything intact including the box. I didn't think twice, packed everything and sent it back. With the money I got back I bought a cool 4-octave full-sized keys Nektar Impact GX49 controller.

On a side note I feel a bit sad of saying goodbye to the Minilab. I considered NOT return it and keep it as a sidekick to my PC keyboard for quick tests, etc, but I then realized that actually I would end never using it.

Anyone had a similar experience?

I bought the Nektar SE25 MIDI Keyboard Controller which is pretty much like the Arturia Minilab 3 as far as the keyboard goes. Mini keys and split octaves. Since I'm not a keyboardist this works fine for me just auditioning voices, samples, patterns and playing organ parts which don't require fine finger technique. I have thin fingers that don't mind the thin keys so much. I used to own a full size synth so I know what you're experiencing.

The little ones are only good for quick note input that you might normally use a mouse for IMHO.

As a keyboardist they are great for taking along on a long plane trip or traveling and you want something to work on to practice riffs or fiddle around with.
For regular daily use....nope

Plus I would not want to get used to playing those small keys and then jump to full size. Guitar is my primary so I don't play keys anywhere near as much. That said it's an adjustment for me switching between my workstation and MIDI controller only because the action is different between the two.

Back