Small amp, or small modelling amp, for recording?

I'm not satisfied with VST guitar stuff, and my tube amp is good, but too loud for home cranking, being 36 watts. There are some small amps around the 5 watt range, but I don't know if there are low wattage modelling amps. If anyone here is knowledgeable on this subject, please enlighten me.

Thank you.

I know Blackstar do a 5w tube amp which a lot of people rate. Victory have just brought out a little amp too.

Don't bother talking to Greg. He probably won't be able to hear you anyway!

Go big or go home.

I'm not saying you can't get good sounds with a low-watt amp, or a big amp at low volume, but there definitely is a difference when you start moving some air into a mic....I know some people can't make a lot of noise, but just sayin'.....

Fudd: I had a Blackstar HT-5 & still have an Egnater Tweaker which are ok, & both can sound good, but to get them to "that" place isn't really that much quieter than your 36w amp would be IMO...

Neither of those are modeling amps, the only one I can think of right off would be the Line 6 DT25 if you're looking for all tube...Never tried one myself, & have read mixed reviews about 'em....

My 5 watt Kustom Defender H5 is WAY too loud to crank all the way after 7pm - even before 7 I need ear protection.
My 100 watt Marshall shakes the walls, thumps chests and peels faces but the Defender can be painfully loud.

Last edited:
My 5 watt Kustom Defender H5 is WAY too loud to crank all the way after 7pm - even before 7 I need ear protection.
My 100 watt Marshall shakes the walls, thumps chests and peels faces but the Defender can be painfully loud.

This is true. A 5 watt amplifier can be loud enough to cause hearing damage over time. A 100 watt amplifier will just do it in one second :D

Back