Small 10" combo bass amp, OK for subkick? Wiring?

Bthiemann80

I am wanting to build a subkick and have a small bass amp (Fender BXR25) that features a 10" bass speaker. However I am also wanting to use the bass cab as normal and not have to keep toggling between XLR subkick wiring and normal amp wiring. It also seems like subkicks have to be close to the bass drum head to work well (I have no actual experience myself with using them, only what I have seen online) and keeping the speaker in the cab would limit the proximity to about 4'-5" from the front of the reso bass drum head. I have seen and read about people using speakers already in cabinets for subkicks but not very often, and the info has been limited in my findings so far

Can a speaker in a closed back cab work well as a subkick even if the closest I can get it is still about 4"-5" from the reso bass drum head? Also, can the speaker be wired to allow for a XLR connector to be permanently wired and mounted on the back of the cab while being able to have the speaker wired for normal use when not using it as a subkick?

First post, please be gentle....

Curious and subscribing.
I'd presume close coupling (speaker near head) would diffinetely help -frequency and signal-to-ambient ratio. Can't work up a mount or block or something to get it in up past the rim?
Your XLR would be in parallel with the normal connection, no effect at all as long as it's not connected to anything. Conversely, probably want to disconnect the speaker from the amp in this other mode..

I did not think to use some kind of block to prop the cab up slightly to compensate for the rim, but I def think it's doable. Thank u for the reply and suggestion.

As far as the wiring goes, since it is parallel r u saying that it should be fine for subkick mode or normal amp mode?

I'm thinking it should be fine in normal amp mode as long as the xlr is not plugged in and nothing is touching the xlr jack at all. Tho I don't know enough about how the subkick works to know what might go wrong when running the subkick while still wired to the amp. Power off and unplugged of course.

Back