SM7B & RE20 - Why Proximity Effect and Variable D are such good ideas

rob aylestone

I've seen quite a few people comparing Shure SM7B mics and Electrovoice RE20's and while they're fine, they seem to miss the point that the reason these mics became popular was because they have a consistant tone, even if you're off mic a bit. Something broadcasters appreciated - but I get the idea that now they've become podcast favourites, the real reason people shell out over £500/$500 on a mic has kind of got lost?

I've had a go at explaining in this video - the sound quality difference between the two mics is pretty minor - I could live with either.

I've also grabbed all the disappointing mics from last week, fixed the humming one, and stuck them in front of a guitar - just in case they performed better on an instrument rather than voice.

Thanks, Rob:D I went for the second video. The SM7B sounded a bit harsh to my ears. I liked the 107 better. The 414 and the LTC240 seemed a little anemic. The U87 sounded the best to me - warmer, especially on rhythm. Would you say that guitar's un-mic'd sound was bright to begin with?

The first video there isn't a lot of testing between the two Microphones going on - the second video - how is one supposed to know which cheap mic you are using - and the distance is wrong - only one the Microphones are positioned right.

Er..... there a caption in the corner? In the description I did mention the distance thing - the point really was to hear the differences, not start to add the close miking tone you would normally go for - just the more distant, classical or folk style ambience. In fairness, none of the mics are in the optimum place.

The first video also is quite careful to say it's not a review of the mics - just flipping from one to the other to give the feel of them. I've no real preference. I thought I made it pretty clear a couple of times that it was not a 'which one is better' video, just a little bit more on why BOTH do broadcasting, and podcasting, well.

Er..... there a caption in the corner? In the description I did mention the distance thing - the point really was to hear the differences, not start to add the close miking tone you would normally go for - just the more distant, classical or folk style ambience. In fairness, none of the mics are in the optimum place.

The first video also is quite careful to say it's not a review of the mics - just flipping from one to the other to give the feel of them. I've no real preference. I thought I made it pretty clear a couple of times that it was not a 'which one is better' video, just a little bit more on why BOTH do broadcasting, and podcasting, well.
Well I guess I was blind - because it is sitting there a big as all get out - still it begs the question of how you judge a mic if it's not position right?

The distance those 4 (5 including the Shure) are is midfield - so moving them within a 250mm circle has minimal impact - but if you were recording the guitar for real, you'd probably want them all in a different place, and I couldn't guarantee I could repeat the playing exactly the same - so what you're hearing are just the tonal differences, not the ideal position. The 414, for instance was quite nasty on voice, but less prominent on the guitar. I don't think you can judge, but at least it makes the character of the mic a bit easier to consider. I suppose the bright ones would in real use be put more sound hole side, and a duller one, more towards the neck perhaps, but that would be how you'd fine tune any mic. The U87 cheapie was not liked that much on voice, but sounds 'rounder' on the guitar. Just interesting how they do their stuff I guess.

Back