Simple vocal booth?

barefoot

barefootsound.com
I have an idea for a simple vocal booth. Unfortunately I don’t have a web site right now to post a drawing, but I’ll try to describe it.

It’s basically a 4 sided box lined with thick acoustic foam and mounted to a wall approximately waist high. One open end faces the floor and the other open end faces the opposite wall. A cardioid mic is mounted a few inches into the box facing the rear. The singer stands on a padded rug, facing the mic (facing out into the room), with the box surrounding his top, back and sides. The box will be about 4ft on each side.

The idea is that first reflections from the top, back, sides and bottom are absorbed by the box and rug respectively. Direct reflections from the opposing wall are rejected by the cardioid mic pattern, then are absorbed by the rear of the box.

This should be very simple and cheap to build. It creates an acoustic dead space for recording vocals with no windows, doors, conduits, or ventilation system required. Of course it’s not sound proof, so the room does need to be quite.

Does this sound like a good idea? Has anyone ever tried it?

Thanks,
barefoot

Back