Shure Vintage SR101 Audio Mixer from the 70's

rob aylestone

You might be interested in this old Shure Audio Mixer - this one from 1974. An era when we think the gear was crude and lacking sophistication, but this has individual channel gains, individual sends to a built in reverb, even notch filters for feedback suppression. Rather a nice piece of audio history.

Last edited:
I've never seen the Shure mixer. The only Shure I remember was the Vocal Master system that quite a few bands around town used.

I think at that point in time, we had bought a Kustom 100 PA with 4 inputs, 2 4x8" cabs in black tuck and roll. The first PA system that I ever used was, IIRC, a Bogen Challenger 20 amp with two big talk columns that my brother and I built. It only had one microphone input using hi imp mics and an Amphenol connector, which was fine since the only mic we had was an old Shure 55 with multi impedance switch. I still have the mic, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

The strange thing is that despite the facilities, it was installed stage left in the wings. The lighting control was moved from the stage out front, where the operator could see at about the time this was installed backstage. It’s replacement was put at the back of the auditorium in 1984, and went up to 16 channels. The Shure then remained backstage, mixing three mics into loudspeakers in the dressing rooms and was left turned on 24/7 until two years ago when it was put it in a skip, then, I rescued it and took it home!

Back