Shure SM81, Josephson C42, Oktava MK012 - Overheads comparison

Speaking of the MK012s, they come with all those capsules. What are the different applications for those? Is one better for overheads while another would be preferable for acoustics?

Speaking of the MK012s, they come with all those capsules. What are the different applications for those? Is one better for overheads while another would be preferable for acoustics?

The differnt capsules are just different pickup patterns. Omni overheads can be kind of.cool, if your room is awesome, or for.getting really close to.an.acoustic guitar without the proxiimity effect.

I only ever really used the cardioid. Never found use for the other ones...

I've also made an comaprison of recording acoustics with these 3 mics - I'll upload it if somebody wants to :)

Thanks for this hollowmanpl - yeah, I would love to hear the acoustics. I'm crushing on some C42s and some other Josephson mics, but I don't have any.

The differnt capsules are just different pickup patterns. Omni overheads can be kind of.cool, if your room is awesome, or for.getting really close to.an.acoustic guitar without the proxiimity effect.

I only ever really used the cardioid. Never found use for the other ones...

If I had a pair I'd probably do an initial sound test to pick best capsule, park them over my drums, and the others would stay in the case. I realize you're supposed to experiment but I'm just being realistic here.

Back