Shure SM7dB

The thing does plug into one of my devices, but it puts a lot of stress on the socket if you tripped or tugged the cable. So it's two cables really, like the others.

The Triton FETHead can be had for $50, and does the same thing, 27dB of boost.

I have heard of people plugging the FETHead into the back of a mic, and the run the cable from there. It might have a small advantages since it is pushing the strongest signal down the cable, and not boosting any noise introduced via the cable.

I was just watching a mic youtube and the SM7b was shown with a "booster" mod by Truman Audio, Trace Audio and so news to me, this idea of Shures internal booster isnt so new. The reviewer Colt Capurrune, My Favorite Microphones if interested.

I have a couple of little Behringer inline boosts that work fine. I have another one I got for free from Vine that's nice as well. I forget the brand.

I think the B ones were about $30 each a few years ago.

There is a review of the SM7dB in the current issue of Sound on Sound plus a very interesting 'myth busting' article by a top bloke at Shure who goes into the history of the 7b and other Shure mics.

Dave.

Back