Shure 55SH Series II dynamic microphone

mjr

ADD -- blessing and curse
Have any of you ever used this mic?

Right now my "vocal" mics are a Shure SM58 and an Oktava MK319 (though I'm thinking of replacing the 319 with something else)..

Have any of you used the above mic? I would primarily be using it for vocals at home, since I don't perform live.

I like the "old school" retro look of it, and it seems to get good reviews.

The 55 is ALL looks, sadly, it is a very boring mic. I really don't know why it seems to be the mic every 50's group of singers go for if the words Frankie Valley or 4 seasons, Buddy Holly or even Chuck Berry, or Elvis pop into the conversation. They're not bad, just boring and a bit dull sounding. The do, however, look good! Good Morning Vietnam. I bet more get bought for the look than for the sound.

What do you think the 55 would provide other than looks? You say you're just singing at home, so aesthetics would be the last thing I would consider. I would put the 58 above the 55H. For another dynamic mic, I prefer the Sennheiser e835 and e935. I think it might give you a different flavor from the Shure 58.

I don't know the 319 personally. You say you're contemplating replacing it. From what I've read, its supposed to be a pretty good vocal mic. Where do you feel it's lacking?

My 319 is a dandy I got from Taylor Johnson about twenty years ago and I've done a few mods to it. By far my favorite vocal mic.

A couple years ago I picked up a used Shure Super 55 which has the same looks as the 55SH. The big difference lies in it using a modified Beta 58A cartridge which has a supercardioid pattern which yields a hotter output than the 55SH (cardioid) and slightly higher end response. I've got a pretty fair collection of mics and the sound of the Super 55 is pretty good and does have that 50's vibe look if your into old songs.
One of my better dynamic mics is a Miktek PM9. Has an almost condenser sound to it and way much better sounding than my SM57's

The Miktek MK300 was on sale a short while ago for about $200, but has gone back to $299. It's a decent vocal mic and might be found used at around $200 or so. Might even go back on sale at some point.

Back