Shure 55SH or Rode NT1-A

abhaya

I need to get some mic for recording vocals in my small room. The problem is that I can not adapt room acoustically to use condenser microphone and my neighbours are very often noisy.
I wanted to get Rhode NT1-A which seems affordable and good mic for me but now thinking about dynamic mic like Shure 55SH
I know that Rhode NT1-A can give me better results, but considering my space maybe dynamic Shire 55SH would be better ?
I just bought preamp and have audio interface. Another option is also dynamic Sennheiser E835s

Last edited:
I need to get some mic for recording vocals in my small room. The problem is that I can not adapt room acoustically to use condenser microphone and my neighbours are very often noisy.
I wanted to get Rhode NT1-A which seems affordable and good mic for me but now thinking about dynamic mic like Shure 55SH
I know that Rhode NT1-A can give me better results, but considering my space maybe dynamic Shire 55SH would be better ?
I just bought preamp and have audio interface. Another option is also dynamic Sennheiser E835s

The 55 SH has the same mic capsule as the Shure Beta 58. If you want to save yourself some money, buy that. If you like the look of the 55, then go for it. I have apair of NT1As, they're a good mic but I use them mainly as drum overheads as they don't seem to suit my voice.

The 55 SH has the same mic capsule as the Shure Beta 58. If you want to save yourself some money, buy that. If you like the look of the 55, then go for it. I have apair of NT1As, they're a good mic but I use them mainly as drum overheads as they don't seem to suit my voice.

Thank you response. Now I am considering Electro Voice N/D767 as someone suggested me on other forum, that it is very good dynamic mic for vocals. But still I am not sure if I go right with dynamic mic instead condenser.

Same capsule as a Beta58? Apart from a different frequency response, sensitivity, polar diagram and impedance! They sound totally different, and most importantly a Beta58 is narrower than a cardioid, and changes tone quickly once you get off-axis. The beta 58 is brighter, and the 55 sounds like, well, a 55!

My voice sounds quite lacking on a Beta 58, a 55 makes it warmer and a bit more pleasant to listen to (not much, but it does).

Same capsule as a Beta58? Apart from a different frequency response, sensitivity, polar diagram and impedance! They sound totally different, and most importantly a Beta58 is narrower than a cardioid, and changes tone quickly once you get off-axis. The beta 58 is brighter, and the 55 sounds like, well, a 55!

My voice sounds quite lacking on a Beta 58, a 55 makes it warmer and a bit more pleasant to listen to (not much, but it does).

We're talking about the Super 55 aren't we? If not, I apologise. Yes, the standard 55 is totally different.

Back