Should I get a sound card?

niamh

Been using Mixcraft 6 and an Alesis io4 audio interface for a while and have noticed that as soon as I have more than around three tracks recorded (eg. vocals, guitar, drums and bass) when I play back the whole recording on mixcraft or attempt to record more over it the track lags and skips making it difficult to record anything over it. Don't think my laptop has a sound card. Is the problem that my computer can't handle this much audio and software? I study English...so this is not my area of expertise lol Any help would be appreciated and please feel free to dumb it down!!!

Your interface is your soundcard. You are best off doing all audio work through this; tracking, playing back, listening to music generally, games and so on.

If you are having trouble recording anything, it's not likely to be the interface, or lack of an onboard sound card (which you will most likely have anyway). It is more likely to do with your laptop's CPU speed, available RAM and reading issues with a hard drive. Look to these first.

Your interface is your soundcard. You are best off doing all audio work through this; tracking, playing back, listening to music generally, games and so on.

If you are having trouble recording anything, it's not likely to be the interface, or lack of an onboard sound card (which you will most likely have anyway). It is more likely to do with your laptop's CPU speed, available RAM and reading issues with a hard drive. Look to these first.

This^^.
Even if your computer has a built in sound card, your interface should completely replace it.
Your built in sound card shouldn't be selected and shouldn't have anything plugged in to it.

Are you aware of the options for buffer size in your recording software?

In the simplest terms, big buffer size = high latency (delay when recording) but a light load on the computer.
Small buffer size = low latency but a heavy load on the computer.

If your computer struggles then it's better to mix with a large buffer.....512 or bigger.

Back