Should I get a Behringer Ultragain Pro Mic2200?

MCJosiah

I've looking for good Preamps under $100 & so far I've been reading good reviews about this one for the most part, plus it has a built in EQ & can be mounted on a rack. I've also read other reviews about different Preamps. I'm a 18 year old Alternative & Expirmental Hip Hop artist, manly a rapper but I also make beats & am learning Alot about sound engineering. So far I'm been doing most of my recording with a MXL 990 & a Scarlett Solo Audio Interface into FL Studio, Audacity, & Ableton on my Dell XPS 8100. I'm looking to get a preamp to make my recordings sound more "professional"(though there pretty good for what I got). Do you think I should get this preamp or another? If another, do you know of one under $160?

There are many factors in recording that go towards making a sound more 'professional'. These include (but are not limited to) the quality of the recording space, the quality of the performance, the quality of the monitoring system and the skills and experience of the recorder. The impact of these on quality will vary, but, in my view, the pre-amp (specially in the budget range) will have the least impact.

If you have money to invest in the recording process, I'd suggest looking at other areas first.

There are way better things to spend your money on than that, considering what you have. The preamp in your Focusrite will do just fine at this stage - you have a long, long way to go before spending money on preamps is worth it. And when/if you get there it won't be that one. Putting "Pro" in the name doesn't make it so.

I used to have that preamp a long time ago. Forget about it. The preamp in the Focusrite is better. The behringer unit does not use any great circuitry to sound better. Even though there is a tube, it's not actually used in the audio path. It even has an LED behind it to make it look like it's glowing.

As GZ and Arm said, there are many other things in the recording path to consider before spending money on the preamp. Especially when the mic preamp in the focusrite is a decent one.

I have the Behri MIC100 and a Focusrite 4i6o.
I bought the Behri when I didn't have an interface.
It's an OK pre but the Focusrite pres are better.
The "tubes" in the Behri don't add tube "warmth".
Spend the money on a better mic, interface or save for some bass traps to treat your recording space/bedroom.

If your interface already has a preamp and it's good I don't see a reason to buy a separate one. I also have a MIC100 and it does the job but I only have it because when I started my records I used the computer sound card and later I upgraded it to a cheapo AI that also lacks of this feature.

By the other hand, sometimes a few stacked equipment on the shelf may bring some inspiration. This MIC2200 definitively has a fancy and 'pro' face. Few time ago I went to visit a studio with a friend and they had a few racks full of hardware and a couple of old multi-track decks. I couldn't resist and I said "Wow, you have a lot of old school stuff here. Do you use it very often?". And the guy said "Nah, we do everything in the computer. We just turn the whole crap on when we have a record session because all the colorful lights. It brings a 'studio' look to impress our customers."

They even had a huge mixer where they seat behind it with a laptop over that. LoL.

Back