Should I Buy A Tascam 388 In 2024

The MR-8T is an interesting machine…has the onboard 8x2 monitor mixer like a Tascam 234 or 134, and insert points between the input and record amp…some interesting optional outboard interface devices…the audio power supply is +/-13V instead of 12V like most everything else cassette for a little more headroom and the regulators are discrete…the predominant opamp used is the 4570 which was pretty cutting edge at the time. I think if I was picking an 8-track rack-mount cassette machine though I’d still go 238…3U instead of 4U, 2-point auto-locate instead of one and all auto-punch/rehearse faculties…the MR-8T has none of that…and the 238 has the scrub function and actual chase-lock capability. And you really need an external mixer with either, so the onboard monitor mixer and insert points are kind of superfluous on the MR-8T. Interesting. The other plus for the 238 is much greater user community support…the MR-8T is a rare bird.

A big issue with 8 tracks on 1/4" tape is crosstalk- especially at high freq. The 388 goes out to about 16KHZ and there were cal. pots. to null out crosstalk.

The 388 looks like it has the mixer section of an M-308, so from a maintenance perspective, my first thought would be why not just get an M-308 and a Tascam 38, vs in all in one 388?

The 388 looks like it has the mixer section of an M-308, so from a maintenance perspective, my first thought would be why not just get an M-308 and a Tascam 38, vs in all in one 388?
No. The 388 and M-300 series mixing sections are quite different electronically and feature-wise.

I used a 388 exclusively in Studio C at the studio I worked at in the early 90s. I recorded young bands that couldn’t afford the 24 track big Studio A. It was fun and I mostly recorded them live to the 8 tracks (usually 3 piece punk pop and grunge bands back then, a few rappers with someone beat boxing or using some synth/sampler gear). I had longed for finding one again to build my studio back in 2021 and located one locally for $2k in perfect working order. By the time I got my studio built, I had lucked into a Tascam M-520 console and an MS-16 multi-track 1” tape recorder in mint condition. I fashioned my studio build around those and have put the 388 in climate controlled storage since. It saddens me to not use it and recently put it up for sale for a large price to just weed out the looky loos… and there have been plenty asking to rent it, see it, touch it, or have me use it to record them. Not my thing. Not sure where you’re located but if you’re anywhere near Northwest Arkansas area, I’m sure we could find a price to fit for a really nice unit that should have plenty of head life for many years to come. This one has not seen a lot of use and is biased for RTM tape already. The black walnut side panels are from a tree felled on our property. The #7 VU window is broken but I have a replacement. The previous owner told me that the unit was on it’s side and fell over on some other gear breaking that plastic and denting the front arm rest. No other damage apparent and the unit works perfectly.

IMG_6663.jpeg

No. The 388 and M-300 series mixing sections are quite different electronically and feature-wise.
Thanks for clarifying, but in comparison, would a separate 308 and 38 be lacking in any significant way to justify using a 388 instead, along with the price to buy either of them and the maintenance/repair concerns.

I used a 388 exclusively in Studio C at the studio I worked at in the early 90s. I recorded young bands that couldn’t afford the 24 track big Studio A. It was fun and I mostly recorded them live to the 8 tracks (usually 3 piece punk pop and grunge bands back then, a few rappers with someone beat boxing or using some synth/sampler gear). I had longed for finding one again to build my studio back in 2021 and located one locally for $2k in perfect working order. By the time I got my studio built, I had lucked into a Tascam M-520 console and an MS-16 multi-track 1” tape recorder in mint condition. I fashioned my studio build around those and have put the 388 in climate controlled storage since. It saddens me to not use it and recently put it up for sale for a large price to just weed out the looky loos… and there have been plenty asking to rent it, see it, touch it, or have me use it to record them. Not my thing. Not sure where you’re located but if you’re anywhere near Northwest Arkansas area, I’m sure we could find a price to fit for a really nice unit that should have plenty of head life for many years to come. This one has not seen a lot of use and is biased for RTM tape already. The black walnut side panels are from a tree felled on our property. The #7 VU window is broken but I have a replacement. The previous owner told me that the unit was on it’s side and fell over on some other gear breaking that plastic and denting the front arm rest. No other damage apparent and the unit works perfectly.

View attachment 137926
Hey! I'm in Charlotte, NC. Thanks for offering but local Tascam guru, @sweetbeats, has talked me into finding a tape machine to use with my M308B mixer. That is a great looking 388 though :love:

Hey! I'm in Charlotte, NC. Thanks for offering but local Tascam guru, @sweetbeats, has talked me into finding a tape machine to use with my M308B mixer. That is a great looking 388 though :love:
That would be my thought as well. You already have a mixer, now you just need a machine. :D

Back