Should I buy a DI Box or mic for my tube amp or should I stick to Amplitube?

porkplan

Hi guys. I recently got aa Blackstar ht40 tube amp and also have the softwares Amplitube and Recabinet.

Would it be worth it if I buy a DI Box or a dynamic microphone so that I can use my tube amp for recording?
I personally like the sound quality of amplitube compared to my tube amp. I'm not sure why, maybe because I play in bedroom volume.

So basically, will recording with my amp be better than using amplitube (and recabinet)? :)

Oh and I'm planning to use digital plugins such as effects, eqs etc. so i'm not sure if using a mic would be a good idea.

Heh. I've got some pretty terrible sounding tube amps (and some that sound better). If you already like the sim best then there's your answer.

How would you use a DI box with your amp?

Some amps have a line level output that you can plug straight into an interface, but in my experience, even with a great sounding amp that approach sounds awful.

Another sim you might try is Scuffham amps. I own it, it's great, and gets rave reviews. It doesn't do everything that Amplitube does, but it doesn't need to.

I've used it on my latest recordings, and I defy anyone to tell me that it is a sim.

You already have a "DI" Porkplan.

The HT-40 gives you two outputs that can be used to feed an AI.
One is speaker emulated and the other is the FX output which is nominally "flat" tho' does include the amplifier's voicing.

Note too that you can use the HT as a "pre amp" quite safely so long as you do not have any speaker jacks plugged in and keep the master pot at min for extra security. These facilities are common to almost all the HT and Series One range.

Dave.

Back