She Is Fine

I agree the vocal is a too loud.

Don't hate me either but if it were me I might also revisit the way the reverb was applied and look at the discrepancy between the relatively wet guitars and the relatively dry vocal etc. Sounds a bit off to me like they're in different rooms and it throws of the cohesiveness of the track.

Nice guitar solo!

Okay, I just came to this now, so I played the most recent mix, and then I went back to the first mix (with vocal) and compared, and I have to say I much prefer the level of the vocal on the first one. Don't hate me. I just want to turn down that new vocal by 3 dB or so.
I agree the vocal is a too loud.

Don't hate me either but if it were me I might also revisit the way the reverb was applied and look at the discrepancy between the relatively wet guitars and the relatively dry vocal etc. Sounds a bit off to me like they're in different rooms and it throws of the cohesiveness of the track.

Nice guitar solo!
Hey guys, I don't hate you 8-) After many listens, I agree about the vocal being too up front and in a different room. It's been the weak point throughout, but I set it aside while I worked on getting the lead guitars into the break (thanks for the compliment, @HumanPlanet).

I have a reverb buss on the vocal but the level is fairly low. Reckon I'll increase that and drop the vocal a couple dBs - see where that gets me.

I'll try to put up a new mix today.

Last edited:
I meant to say this before, the melody you're singing is in the same register as the guitar chords, and I think that is not helping the vox to be as clear as possible.
Short of re-tracking the guitar to play alternate chords in a different register you could maybe do some panning.
Or maybe I know nothing.
Another option to give you a fuller vocal is playing around with the pitch shifter a touch on a second take..my current technique is to have two good takes with the best upfront and the second way down in the mix. It adds a bit of depth without sounding obviously double tracked. Pan to taste.

@mcmac74 - - Good suggestions. I have received similar suggestions on adding another vocal with raised pitch. Makes me think of CSN&Y harmonies, but I ain't in that class. Some panning would certainly help, too. These are fun things to play around with.. :guitar:

Well your voice reminds me of John Prine I think, or maybe Leonard Cohen.
And you know the vocal track needs some love especially in presence as right now it ducks out a lot.
The music sound good and tight, with the bass and kick locked in.
The tune reminds me of a guy who used to post here under TripleM.

THIS THIS AND THIS - FIRST thing I thought was that it was Steve (Triple M) posting.

Mix is a bit right up the middle on everything. Imagine a wider stage and place everything a bit wider. That's my main issue with the presentation.

THIS THIS AND THIS - FIRST thing I thought was that it was Steve (Triple M) posting.

Mix is a bit right up the middle on everything. Imagine a wider stage and place everything a bit wider. That's my main issue with the presentation.
I hear ya. The drums are placed as if I were sitting at them, so except for the low tom off to the right and the ride they're nearly centered. The backing guitars are barely panned around 15% L/R. I'll spread things out more as I'm addressing earlier suggestions. Thanks, K-dub.

p.s. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I searched for some of Triple M's stuff, and did find some, but the files wouldn't play. I really would like to hear some.

This is one of Trip's pieces ... from 2009. Its title is "Steve McQueen".

Attachments

• SMcQ2.mp3
    6.1 MB
Thanks! This reminds me of maybe a 60's film tune or even a TV show theme - the bouncy melody and the high vocals.

Yet ... and you might not get it ... we, the others who have been here forever, tagged you as similar. It's ok. We've been here longer.

I worked with Steve for years on stuff ... which is why I had mixes of his from back when. I knew he was from the Chicago area, but never met him in person. Really nice guy who had incredible ears for catching the slightest clicks and pops back in the early digital days.

Oh, Chicago. I've got family there.. at least I think they're still there. Haven't heard from them since '93. My Chi-Town cousin played his Les Paul until he fractured his fretting hand - couldn't bend his first two fingers after that. They probably have no connection. He turned me on to Led Zep with their first two albums - POW!

Back