Shaft

Fishmed

Here is my first Archive Showcase. I got the shaft alright! I was working with the singer on this project via his manager. They had zero budget so we worked out a deal that I would get a percentage of the rights when the music was done. I supplied the musicians for the job. The majority of musicians just did it for the fun and experience. Well before we finished the project, the singer just disapeared, even his manager did not know where he went. So... I got left holding the bag on this one. In the spirit of Shaft, here are the three songs we did record.
http://www.idrive.com
visit: fishmed

R.E. LOL! But seriously:
The guy was just trying to get that Leon Thomas sound. Check out his work with Pharoah Sanders.
I think I would've applied less reverb to this mix, if possible.
As for the getting the shaft: Well that's still better than just having your studio sit idle between projects.

I noticed I had two of the song's names reversed... it is fixed now.

I had recorded and mixed these songs back in early '96. Unfortunatly, I no longer have the orginal tracks to go back and remix the music. (Live & Learn) These tracks were recorded with a black faced ADAT sync'ed to a 486DX-66 running Calkwalk 4. I used an ALesis S4 and D4 for the midi gear. The bass was ran direct and the guitar was recorded direct via a Roland GP100. I mixed the songs down to a minidisk.

[This message has been edited by Fishmed (edited 06-20-2000).]

It sounded to me like there was reverb on vocals, keyboards and guitar, and I liked it. I wonder what it would have sounded like if the drums and the hand claps had been crisp and out front. Dunno bout the bass.

What if some of the parts had either more high end or less effects? Like, what if the vocal had less reverb? Or the drums?

Something's gotta contrast, right?

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 06-20-2000).]

I really liked the music and the overall sound.
But the singer went waaaaaayyy overboard on the vibrato thing. What's up with that?
I felt like I was underwater.

Back