Setting return UM2

euandreal

Hi, I'm trying to set my UM2 + BM800 in my Windows desktop. I use audacity to record.
I can record with it, but the return (my voice) to the headset is lagging, making impossible to sing.
How can I fix it? I would like to have the return synchronized, but if its not possible, just setting the microphone return off would do it.
Thank you

I am not sure there is option to change your interfaces latency/buffer setting in Audacity. Google it and see what you find.

Audacity is not in any way a tool that is made for recording anyway. It is an audio editor that happens to be able to record. You should look into Reaper instead. It free to use with nag screen and only $60 I believe to purchase outright. At least it is designed for recording and you will be able to adjust for that latency/delay you are dealing with.

It does seem that the UM2 specifies having direct monitoring via the headphones, but not sure if there is a control panel mixer to control that. Either way, you obviously need to hear playback from what you are recording voice to, so an actual DAW software will help you there.

Last edited:
The UM2 direct monitor button lets you DIRECT monitor your input with no latency. I guess that would be if you're monitoring with headphones plugged into the UM2. Where are your headphones plugged in?

I second getting a proper DAW. Audacity is a handy free editor, but it's not really a good option for multitrack recording.

That said, I just experimented with Audacity on my system. I had the hardware direct monitor function of my interface enabled and had no problem with any audible delay. Audacity does have a software input monitor function, which could be the problem. Make sure that's disabled by going to Edit -> Preferences -> Recording and deselecting "Software playthrough of input." If that doesn't solve it, the same function might be enabled in Windows (assuming that's what OS you're using). Go to your Sound Control Panel, click the Recording tab, double click the input device (UM2), click the Listen tab, make sure "Listen to this device" is deselected. Be sure your Direct monitor function is selected on your UM2 and plug your headphones in to that device (not the built-in headphone output on your computer).

I am not sure there is option to change your interfaces latency/buffer setting in Audacity. Google it and see what you find.

Audacity is not in any way a tool that is made for recording anyway. It is an audio editor that happens to be able to record. You should look into Reaper instead. It free to use with nag screen and only $60 I believe to purchase outright. At least it is designed for recording and you will be able to adjust for that latency/delay you are dealing with.

It does seem that the UM2 specifies having direct monitoring via the headphones, but not sure if there is a control panel mixer to control that. Either way, you obviously need to hear playback from what you are recording voice to, so an actual DAW software will help you there.
Thank you
I have Reaper installed. I prefer audacity because you click a button and it star recording while in Reaper is more complicated

I second getting a proper DAW. Audacity is a handy free editor, but it's not really a good option for multitrack recording.

That said, I just experimented with Audacity on my system. I had the hardware direct monitor function of my interface enabled and had no problem with any audible delay. Audacity does have a software input monitor function, which could be the problem. Make sure that's disabled by going to Edit -> Preferences -> Recording and deselecting "Software playthrough of input." If that doesn't solve it, the same function might be enabled in Windows (assuming that's what OS you're using). Go to your Sound Control Panel, click the Recording tab, double click the input device (UM2), click the Listen tab, make sure "Listen to this device" is deselected. Be sure your Direct monitor function is selected on your UM2 and plug your headphones in to that device (not the built-in headphone output on your computer).
I will try it. Thank you very much

Back