Setting a side a pack of heads for recording

JG96

So today I was thinking how its best to use brand new heads when recording. However new heads are expensive! I was wondering if you can put a set of drumheads on a drum for a day to record and then take them off and save them for your next session. Would this work or would it stretch out the heads too much?

So today I was thinking how its best to use brand new heads when recording. However new heads are expensive! I was wondering if you can put a set of drumheads on a drum for a day to record and then take them off and save them for your next session. Would this work or would it stretch out the heads too much?

I never thought of that but, I would think it would be a hassle even if it did save the stretching out for a while. But Ive often thought about how long drum heads sit in a hot warehouse are store for months and even yrs, and then they sell them as new but already have lost the "newness" out of them. In fact ive bought some brand new more than once that did not last long compared to others a many a times so......think about it ;)

So you're saying that they will loose some life just by sitting around? I could see that but it may still better than being whacked countless times daily. Your post did make me realize that they may detune throughout the session as new heads often do. They would probably have to be put on a day or two before recording.

So you're saying that they will loose some life just by sitting around? I could see that but it may still better than being whacked countless times daily. Your post did make me realize that they may detune throughout the session as new heads often do. They would probably have to be put on a day or two before recording.

Yes absolutely they can and specially if they are moved from one environment to another. But yeah being "whacked countless times daily" and hard hitting drummers putting dents in the heads would not be good for sure. But right, just like guitar players put strings on earlier in the day before a gig that nite, to give them time to stretch so they want go out of tune so fast, is almost the same principal here with drum heads. Im sure they are post's and threads here about how to stretch and seat heads on drums and also how to make them last longer. But I personally would never go thru the hassle of taking em off and putting them back on over and over.:eatpopcorn:

Thats true taking em off and putting em on is kinda a pain. I can always threaten sample replacement if the drummer has crusty heads. That should get some fresh heads on there :D

Once you put on fresh heads and start whacking them under tension, they stretch considerably. When you take them off and put them back on you'll have to tighten them even further to achieve tone again. It's best to just put a head on, tune it, and play it until it's done.

I recently changed both the batter and reso heads on all my toms and snare. It took a good 2 days for them to stop stretching.

No idea if this is normal, but my guess is that it is.

Would make sense. It seems to take about the same amount of time when I restring basses and guitars.

I recently changed both the batter and reso heads on all my toms and snare. It took a good 2 days for them to stop stretching.

No idea if this is normal, but my guess is that it is.

There are stretching methods that don't take long to do,just when putting new ones on tighten down evenly and then "punch" them are press down in the middle of the head. You will here a lot of "crinkling" specially it they are REMO heads, but don't let that scare you its normal. Now tighten the lugs again(pitch has dropped a lot by then) and do it all over again. Tighten lugs again are tune them like you want them to sound. You may have to do this several times to get them to "seat" good and then you should have no problem after that :thumbs up:

There are stretching methods that don't take long to do,just when putting new ones on tighten down evenly and then "punch" them are press down in the middle of the head. You will here a lot of "crinkling" specially it they are REMO heads, but don't let that scare you its normal. Now tighten the lugs again(pitch has dropped a lot by then) and do it all over again. Tighten lugs again are tune them like you want them to sound. You may have to do this several times to get them to "seat" good and then you should have no problem after that :thumbs up:

Right. New heads are like guitar strings. They take some stretching and a few tunes and re-tunes to get em settled. It shouldn't take days though. Put em on finger tight, put the drum on the floor, and push down in the middle with your bodyweight. They'll creak and crackle like homeboy said and it'll probably frighten you. No problem. Tighten incrementally up to pitch and push down on them again. Re-tune and play them for a little bit. After, do a quick fine tune and you should be good to go.

Back