Seraph (updated)

frank1985

Lovely little number based on everyone's favourite garden snake - feedback appreciated, particularly on the mix!!

Updated with guitar at the start to tie the intro in with the rest of the track

Last edited:
Wow, that wasn't what I expected. It's got a weird sinister vibe that was interesting. Very well put together, and the mix sounds good to me. I like it a lot.

Earbud listen: it's good. Sometimes earbud listens come across as too lightweight, but this one has a pleasant lower end.

What kind of voodoo did you put on the spoken vocal to make it sound so snake-ish?

Seraph: I suppose the serpent qualifies. Although if you read Job, Yahweh and Satan are sort of besties hanging out in the empyrean comparing their respective field notes - more of a dialogue than a seraph 'sing the praises of the Lord' sort of thing. The snake's got an important part to play though, for sure.

Good tune - I enjoyed that.

Good stuff. The string section at the start is excellent and unexpected. Low piano reminds me of the Black Sabbath riff. The composition is quite a journey, I like it a lot. Listening on monitors, the mix sounds nice and clear, well separated. Cool arrangement too. I got nothing for you. Great job

Earbud listen: it's good. Sometimes earbud listens come across as too lightweight, but this one has a pleasant lower end.

What kind of voodoo did you put on the spoken vocal to make it sound so snake-ish?

Seraph: I suppose the serpent qualifies. Although if you read Job, Yahweh and Satan are sort of besties hanging out in the empyrean comparing their respective field notes - more of a dialogue than a seraph 'sing the praises of the Lord' sort of thing. The snake's got an important part to play though, for sure.

Good tune - I enjoyed that.
Hey dobro - I used manipulator by infekted mushroom for the vocal effect. Fabfilter Saturn on the singing to make my singing voice sound a bit less...well, shit. Re; seraph - apparently that's another name for 'snake', and also 'the burning one'. Whether it refers to the snake in the garden I don't know - the bible is pretty ambiguous that way - but I thought it made for a cool title. The snake here represents consciousness or self awareness beyond the autonomous animal nature - that's how I interpret the whole garden story anyway. Makes sense that Yahweh and Satan would shoot the shit with good/evil being two sides of the same coin; maybe the big man is using satan to split himself off and experience himself more directly? :) who knows, who cares....but these things are good inspiration for music :)

Last edited:
Good stuff. The string section at the start is excellent and unexpected. Low piano reminds me of the Black Sabbath riff. The composition is quite a journey, I like it a lot. Listening on monitors, the mix sounds nice and clear, well separated. Cool arrangement too. I got nothing for you. Great job
Thanks for the listen :)

Back