Sequencing MIDI with DD-55

P-J

Rank Amateur
Hi all.

I have a Yamaha DD-55 drum machine here, and I'd like to create some beats using MIDI.

I don't have any MIDI hardware, obviously except for MIDI in/out ports on the PC and would like to record some MIDI, and then assign some samples.

Are there any fairly easy to use tools to accomplish this task? I understand all the theory of MIDI, I'm just looking for advice on how to create reasonable sounds sequences without having to resort to Microsoft MIDI Mapper :)

Thanks for the reply. Now I know what a sampler is :)

Most of the ones I've seen are VSTi which is overkill for my needs, are there any standalone ones that can just record my MIDI performance straight to a wave file through the sampler?

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm a little lost. At the minute, I don't have a sequencer that supports VST instruments, however I tried the trial of Battery 3 (standalone) and rather like what I hear. Wondered if there was a way to record a performance on my kit straight to WAV via Battery 3. I've got the MIDI setup working so Battery is responding to my playing on the DD-55, so that side of it is sorted.

I thought of using the 'What U Hear' type method, but my Emu USB box driver doesn't offer this option.

I only have one machine here too. I'm guessing the only way is to send the outs on the USB box back to the ins and record that way, but it's a bit of a messy way :)

The ideal situation was to record each instrument to a separate track, but I'm guessing I'm totally SOL with that?

try reaper, that should have everything you need to get this to work. a drum pad is just like a midi keyboard

Back