Sennheiser MD421 U5 Problem

EleKtriKaz

Home (w)Rec'r
Hey guys, I'm kind of a bind here. I bought an old Sennheiser MD421 U5 off of Ebay, it looked fine in the pictures, the guy said it worked perfectly. When I got it and tested it out, I found that it's distorting. Suprise suprise, the scumbag on Ebay won't respond to any of my emails.

I sent the mic of to Sennheiser for service. I just got my estimate: $297 to replace the capsule and basket. I paid $250 for the mic. What the hell am I going to do? $550 for a MD421...no way.

Anyone know of someone that might be able to fix it for cheaper? Anything else I can do? I know it's a longshot, but I just thought I would ask.

Thanks.

EleKtriKaz said:
Hey guys, I'm kind of a bind here. I bought an old Sennheiser MD421 U5 off of Ebay, it looked fine in the pictures, the guy said it worked perfectly. When I got it and tested it out, I found that it's distorting. Suprise suprise, the scumbag on Ebay won't respond to any of my emails.

I sent the mic of to Sennheiser for service. I just got my estimate: $297 to replace the capsule and basket. I paid $250 for the mic. What the hell am I going to do? $550 for a MD421...no way.

Anyone know of someone that might be able to fix it for cheaper? Anything else I can do? I know it's a longshot, but I just thought I would ask.

Thanks.

I think the capsule should cost about $120 you could change it yourself.

http://koopjes.marktplaats.nl/muzie...0+Wlrpom1SdWXVZdkz4c6ZjlyQ8y639/+3BAnQ==&df=1

http://koopjes.marktplaats.nl/muzie...0+Wlrpom1SdWXVZdkz4c6ZjlyQ8y639/+3BAnQ==&df=1

http://koopjes.marktplaats.nl/muzie...T5eXumqaVJ9Ytay6Jn040jHlyQ8y639/+3RAng==&df=1

http://koopjes.marktplaats.nl/muzie...T5eXumqaVJ9Ytay6Jn040jHlyQ8y639/+3RAng==&df=1

FWIW: just to give you an idea about prices for 2nd hand 421's.
It's always risky to buy a mic from Ebay or someting similar like Marktplaats (Marketplace).

Your case is a case of bad luck and there's not much you can do other than take the mic apart and carefully examine whats wrong with the capsule. It may be dented, there may be a crack or the coil has come off of the membrane.

Sennheiser parts are not cheap, but try Neumann !

BTW, a new 421 would have cost you $349.

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=4282&Category=Microphones

Thanks for the replies. That's about what I figured. I'll take it apart when they send it back to me. Still not sure what I'm going to do though. Definitely not paying $300 to get it fixed.

file a claim on the guy. period. get your money back. call ebay and talk to somebody. I have gotten out of this crap every time. unless you bought from an auction that says "no refunds for any reason whatsoever" or something to that extent, which nobody should ever do anyway unless you are really good at fixing stuff.

I have no advice for you, just sympathy. I got screwed on an ebay 441 with the same problem. Sennheiser told me it would be $350+ to fix. Jerk that sold it to me figured it to be my fault some how. Sorry man, I feel for you.

Definately file a claim if you can. That crap can't stand!

I keep saying, buying mics from Ebay is very risky, mics are quite fragile.

Buy a new mic, lots of mics that cost less than a new 421 and perform pretty good.

How did you pay for it? Paypal has certain buyer protection/compensation that might help you out in this situation. Hope this helps.

I've filed a claim with Ebay....as well as sending daily emails to the seller. The seller is definitely not responding. It's not looking too good. I haven't heard anything from Ebay yet. Hopefully they'll be able to do something. I'm pissed.

I haven't been screwed on ebay but I must put my input. I am extremely sick and tired of companies like Sennheiser, AKG, NADY, and others that charge ridiculously high prices to fix their own gear. It isn't fair. In my opinion, just don't buy from these companies unless you really have to. This happened to me with AKG and NADY and it left a very bad taste about these companies that they wouldn't fix 2 items for a reasonable price.

ryanformato said:
I haven't been screwed on ebay but I must put my input. I am extremely sick and tired of companies like Sennheiser, AKG, NADY, and others that charge ridiculously high prices to fix their own gear. It isn't fair. In my opinion, just don't buy from these companies unless you really have to. This happened to me with AKG and NADY and it left a very bad taste about these companies that they wouldn't fix 2 items for a reasonable price.

Like I said, try Neumann (owned by Sennheiser)

all my mics, all my compressors, what am i saying, EVERYTHING in my homestudio comes from ebay,
i sure had some malfunctioning items, but the money i've already saved thanks to ebay is great ! taking riscs makes life more fun :D

yeah I buy tons of stuff off of ebay as well. But there are certain things to look out for. somebody with perfect feedback but hasn't sold anything in a few years could turn out to be a stolen account. or someone with great feedback but you look at the last thirty items they sold and its all lawn mower equipment...why are they selling this preamp? or people that say "no refunds for any reason"...or my favorite is "I have no way of testing this mic" or even better "it worked the last time I used it 4 years ago. sold as is".

Basically, always make sure there isn't anything to the effect of "sold as is", and that there IS a claim that the product works, or that it will do what you want. for example, if a product listing says "this is a great compressor" and thats it, and you get it and its broke, then the product description was misleading. A broken compressor is not a great compressor. Always pay through paypal. If a package arrives that looks damaged, always take pictures of the package BEFORE you open it!! I have sent back maybe 4-5 items for every 20 that I have bought. Never once had a problem, because I have always followed these guidelines. The most I have ever lost is the shipping cost. I would also avoid buying from people who say that you get your refund when the shipping claim goes through. that's usually a sign that the product is already broken.

a final thought is that ebay is a market. prices are subject to the forces of supply and demand. If a particular item is below market, there may be a very good reason for that. I.e., low demand. maybe there is something you are missing.

Get a phone # / Address

I usually do a people search and get their phone #. Google someone's name in quotes, use stuff like anywho.com, or there are also pay sites.

It's easy for some ppl to ignore words on a page or piece of paper. Much harder to ignore the humanity in someone's voice. Don't get mad, be "logical."

Or worse yet, very much harder to ignore me on their doorstep. Hasn't come to that yet, but I'm sure some day it will. A guy stiffed me recently; he just happens to live next my girlfriend's hometown, which I will soon visit... Yes, I'm considering a visit.

Good luck with the capsule. If you are getting hosed anyway, perhaps you could start taking it apart and looking for stuff wrong.
Check the diaphragm for tears and loose wires, etc.
After you have thoroughlly checked all connections:

If possible without destoying/forcing the capsule, remove the diaphragm apart from the magnet and check for errant metal filings inside. I've had more than one dynamic go poop this way...

Last edited:
Back