"Sample format" problems in Multitrack

Canard

I use the multitrack a lot in Cool Edit, but have always had one major aggravating problem with it. If I start with say 160kbps mp3s in it, then I had better make absolute sure that's what every single track in the session is, or else...

"The sample format of the file being inserted is different than that of the multitrack session". It then proceeds to up/downsample the files in question. Only it doesn't do it for the couple that may be say 192kbps instead, but for every single sample in the session. And that's not the best part: if I let it do that and save all the samples in their new format, it does the exact same thing the next time I load the session anyway!

And in my most recent project where I have 114 samples, and the last half are a different bitrate, it means I have to finish it before I close it, because if I try to open it again, I won't be able to work on it any more... if I try to save, it will mean I have 114 duplicate "upsampled" files that don't prevent Cool Edit from generating the same error and spawning 114 more "upsampled" files the next time I open it.

Is there a workaround for this besides "don't have different bitrates"? Maybe Adobe Audition doesn't have this problem?

Thanks! :)

I use the multitrack a lot in Cool Edit, but have always had one major aggravating problem with it. If I start with say 160kbps mp3s in it, then I had better make absolute sure that's what every single track in the session is, or else...

"The sample format of the file being inserted is different than that of the multitrack session". It then proceeds to up/downsample the files in question. Only it doesn't do it for the couple that may be say 192kbps instead, but for every single sample in the session. And that's not the best part: if I let it do that and save all the samples in their new format, it does the exact same thing the next time I load the session anyway!

And in my most recent project where I have 114 samples, and the last half are a different bitrate, it means I have to finish it before I close it, because if I try to open it again, I won't be able to work on it any more... if I try to save, it will mean I have 114 duplicate "upsampled" files that don't prevent Cool Edit from generating the same error and spawning 114 more "upsampled" files the next time I open it.

Is there a workaround for this besides "don't have different bitrates"? Maybe Adobe Audition doesn't have this problem?

Thanks! :)

Me too.

I've been recording a podcast* with CEP2 (6 episodes so far) (Usb mics and headsets)

It's been working fine up until last month, and I stuck an mp3 in that I ripped from YT.

Everytime I opened the session it told me that the mp3 sample blah blah and upsampled it.

At the end I had a file called:

R.Atkinson LIVE_ 03 - And Now, From Nazareth, The Amazing (44100 Hz) (44100 Hz) (44100 Hz) (44100 Hz.1) (44100 Hz) (44100 Hz) (44100 Hz) (44100 Hz) (44100 Hz) (44100 Hz) (44100 Hz) (44100 Hz).mp3

Now I've just recorded a new episode, and it's doing this for every single file. (About 50 minutes worth, 4 tracks. stopping and starting from time to time means there's a metric shitload of files)

I haven't changed any settings...

* Well if you must know: http://thecusp.org.nz :-D

Back