RYA - A Dreamer (Feedback for feedback)

RYA

Hey fellow musicians,

I have a new song to share. Tell me anything that you think about, especially things I could improve.

Cheers.

RYA

Your high end is a little out-of-control here. Lots of sibilants on the vocals and a lot of hiss overall.

I like the double-post by spam bots on the Soundcloud! :D

Welcome to the forums.

Would you say the high end of the vocals are worse than the sibilants in Calvin Harris - Blame it on me?
Also, what would you recommed to get rid of them? I currently use abletons compressor and sidechain the hiss out of the vocals.

Way too much treble. I know treble makes things sound exciting, but it's hard to listen to something. Some good cuts around 3K would make it more pleasureable. Sounds good, though

bottom end sounds really good to me. but yeah, that top end needs some control. use a de-esser on the vocal bus/track. set it to a fast attack and release, usually somewhere around 6khz-8khz is where it starts and can go up to 14 or so. you have to play with the attack and release so it sounds natural and not like a lisp, and so the release it timed with the rhythm of the vocal. if there's a high boost across the track, maybe go back and check each individual track first and assess their top ends. get each individual track in control up there before boosting across everything.

You sibilants aren't quite as bad as Harris', but his mix is better balanced overall. If the rest of the top-end was tamed, the sibilants might not be an issue.

5 Duplicate posts by spam bots on your Soundcloud now. Do they think that posting the same thing all those times actually works?

I can only echo what the others had said. The high end is too strident. The vocal is too in the midrange - like 2500hz or so.

The vocal and keyboard are kind of occupying the same space. But the vocal is much louder than the keys.

The bass and kick are very sterile.

I can only echo what the others had said. The high end is too strident. The vocal is too in the midrange - like 2500hz or so.
The vocal and keyboard are kind of occupying the same space. But the vocal is much louder than the keys.
The bass and kick are very sterile.

This pretty much echos what I thought while listening so to save typing I just quoted TripleM - hope he doesn't mind :D

Cool song - definitely something that would get you up on the floor.

:D:D:D:D

I agree that the vocals are a little too high with the high frequencies and reverb. I really like the instrument melodies though. Really catchy. The vocal notes fit it nicely, just need to be toned down in the mix.

Some of the percussion sounds come off a little too aggressively gated IMO. I realize that is acceptable in this genre. Whereas this tune could be very smooth, I think it adds a choppy element that doesn't quite flow optimally.

Back