Room mic

Bulls Hit

I mixed the room mic into this a bit more than usual. Does it make it sound... too roomy?

It's also a bit of a longer jam than what I usually like, just couldn't carve any more out. Does it maintain interest?

Same thing on youtube, if you'd prefer to be distracted by my attempts to surf

Last edited:
On my HD 280 phones it sounds pretty good, but the low bass is a bit much. I think it might sound pretty good from an AM speaker.

Your stuff always maintains my interest ...cool synthy sounds ,interesting panning, and great drums! I thought this sounded cool , drums do sound like they are a bit "roomy" or verby, but I dig the tone and the ring of them.
Cool vid!

On my HD 280 phones it sounds pretty good, but the low bass is a bit much. I think it might sound pretty good from an AM speaker.
Thanks Spantini. That was my other question. I've gone back and pulled the bass down to a more acceptable level

Your stuff always maintains my interest ...cool synthy sounds ,interesting panning, and great drums! I thought this sounded cool , drums do sound like they are a bit "roomy" or verby, but I dig the tone and the ring of them.
Cool vid!
Cheers strat. The compression on the room mic gives the drums a nice crunch but it really does plaster that room sound everywhere

I mixed the room mic into this a bit more than usual. Does it make it sound... too roomy?

It's also a bit of a longer jam than what I usually like, just couldn't carve any more out. Does it maintain interest?

Same thing on youtube, if you'd prefer to be distracted by my attempts to surf

Its a sound - thing is do you like it?

Yeah I do like the crunchy distortion the compression adds but of course it pulls the room up as well. I'm used to the sound of the room, was just interested in how obvious it is to other folks
If you like it then it's good - it doesn't matter what others think - unless you are trying to sell to them.

I've noticed a common theme in the responses to everyone's recordings here. People do tend to be honest, but the responses on a graph would not be a straight line. I try to give gut reaction comments, but ignore my liking of the music. If it's something I understand and relate to, I think I can be constructive and helpful, but if its a genre I really either hate or don't understand, I tend to be very quiet - in case the distortion I hear was intentional, or the bizarre rhythms are a style I don't know.

Your track is not a genre I really get - but I do appreciate what you're doing. Keeping this in mind, I have to say that the drums, especially kick and snare - not so much the metalwork - sound very boxy and a bit odd. I would probably have not picked up had you not said, that it was a room mic doing this - clearly the room (from my personal like and dislike) isn't very nice. I've done room mic treatment, but in nice spaces. For me - the drums sound as if they are in a totally different space to everything else. The hard guitars, in my head would make me expect a hard drum sound - very tight and not ringy - but the snare and kick sort of don't match what I hear.

No criticism intended as in a bad recording - just for me, a biit sort of out of place with my understanding of the genre. It's the same sort of thing as when people add noise and clicks to make an 'old' recording, but end up with something that sounds just difficult to listen to.

I'm old and a bit set in my ways - so treat these comments as throw away, as I've probably misunderstood the intention.

I've noticed a common theme in the responses to everyone's recordings here. People do tend to be honest, but the responses on a graph would not be a straight line. I try to give gut reaction comments, but ignore my liking of the music. If it's something I understand and relate to, I think I can be constructive and helpful, but if its a genre I really either hate or don't understand, I tend to be very quiet - in case the distortion I hear was intentional, or the bizarre rhythms are a style I don't know.

Your track is not a genre I really get - but I do appreciate what you're doing. Keeping this in mind, I have to say that the drums, especially kick and snare - not so much the metalwork - sound very boxy and a bit odd. I would probably have not picked up had you not said, that it was a room mic doing this - clearly the room (from my personal like and dislike) isn't very nice. I've done room mic treatment, but in nice spaces. For me - the drums sound as if they are in a totally different space to everything else. The hard guitars, in my head would make me expect a hard drum sound - very tight and not ringy - but the snare and kick sort of don't match what I hear.

No criticism intended as in a bad recording - just for me, a biit sort of out of place with my understanding of the genre. It's the same sort of thing as when people add noise and clicks to make an 'old' recording, but end up with something that sounds just difficult to listen to.

I'm old and a bit set in my ways - so treat these comments as throw away, as I've probably misunderstood the intention.
I grew up in the 70's and albums like Bowie's Low or Foreigner's Head Games always stood out for me because of the filthy distortion on the snare. I just loved that explosive snare, each hit sounded like it was tearing the speakers apart. When I acquired some '1176 style' compressors I discovered I could kind of emulate that on the room mic by cranking the input and output knobs to 10, which obviously is going to destroy any natural dynamics which is probably why it sounds a bit odd.
Good comments, thanks rob

Back