Rock Mix....Final Video.

LogicLover

Updated mix, reduced the limiting & took some vocal lessons....lol....still work to do
on perfect level mix with the B.G.V. but hopefully, this sounds less squashed as there
definitely is some dynamics happening now... Thanks !

Last edited:
Thanks man! much appreciated, these are just my demo vocals that will be replaced but really
want to get a good mix for the real singer...lol.

Right off the bat - and I tend to mix loud myself - I went immediately for the volume control on the phones. The sheen of limiting runs strong in this one. :D

Levels are tough to discern because the limiting has mashed everything tightly together in sonic collage - kind of like everything is smashed against the glass right up front and nothing is in the back - which is how I tend to hear limiting.

First thing I'd aim for is opening the space up by lightening up a bit on the compressor. Start w/ the drums ... while employing limiting across the master bus - and make sure they sound open - not "cardboardy". When they sound natural, then start blending in the other elements from there. That's what I tend to do to remind myself to not overdo the limiting - because I tend to hear the limiting first when the drums lose their "life" and sound "smacky".

Thank K dub ! yeah, Its slamming a bit heavy. Ill back it down, I had to fire the singer (me) so next draft is in the works
Appreciate it !

Everything is basically there, LL. Just listen closer and make it more natural.

There's too much compressor sheen.

What's weird is that folks don't really understand that there's a "sound" to a compressor.

Sure ... a delay has an easy to hear sound. Phase? Got it!

All the tools are really quite basic.

A compressor is a valuable tool.

But not every sound needs to sound like it is shouting at you. I'm guilty of this myself.

Bring the subtle nuances of softer sounds up ... and then leave it the fuck alone.

Glue the furniture together ... but keep it 3D.

When a sound sounds like it's all pasted sound on glass?

You've hit the limiter WAY too hard.

Been there. Done that.

Back