RNC / RNLA versus Plug-Ins

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
I currently use only compressor and leveling amp plug-ins, no actual hardware comps. I was considering purchasing a RNLA or RNC for my vocals but I am wondering how much of a difference it will actually make. Can anyone give me some feedback about hardware versus software for compressors.

Right now I am using an SM7B into an Art TPS II tube pre-amp. Most of my vocal problems are because I can't hold a note but I figure every little thing helps :p

You know I m not much a plug-in guy Wes but I must say that I do enjoy both of the RNC and the RNLA. Both units will come in handy for more than just vocals for ya.

I like the RNC and have used it for years. I just don't use it on vocals...bass, some guitars, other sources...so I can't speak to it as a vocal comp. But, for $150 you can't go wrong. It doesn't sound much different than good clean plugins, and a lot of people would probably say the extra trip through the AD convertor isn't worth it, but hardware is more fun to use.

I've heard the RNLA has a little more character, so it might be something different from your typical transparent plugs. While we're at it, the stillwell rocket is an awesome plugin compressor for vocals.

For vocals I have a homemade 1176 which is awesome. I wouldn't trade that for any plugins.

Same here. I've had a pair for many years but don't normally use them on vocals. It's probably the best under $1000 compressor out there. I've never used the RNLA so I can't comment on that piece.

It's probably the best under $1000 compressor out there.

I would not go that far....it's decent, and does an OK job without a lot of muss-n-fuss.

If I was going to use a comp on vocals, I would prefer an analog hardware comp, as I think you get more character/flavor from them than you do from pure number crunching...plus, I would use it during mixdown, not so much tracking.
Otherwise, I usually just do vocal leveling manually in the DAW. Just slice up the vocal track and adjust the levels of the various sections to where everything sounds balanced. Yes, it takes more time, but you get exactly what you want, whereas using a comp (hardware or plug) it's affecting everything in some way.

I've never used a comp on vocals during mixdown once I started using a DAW for editing...though once in awhile I still do like to use a pure limiter on vocals during tracking, and set it real high, so it only kicks in on absolutely high peaks, otherwise, it just sits there....but mainly I use it 'cuz I like the character it adds to the vocals even when it's not limiting...it's and ADR analog limiter.

If you want to experience some KICK ASS, super sweet comps...check out the Overstayer models...all under $900.
They are all stereo units...but can be used on mono signals too.
I have all three models.
I started out with the full-sized rack unit - the Stereo VCA comp, which is now my main stereo bus comp/limiter, and then just recently bought the other two 1/2 rack units, the smaller brother of the Stereo VCA, and the FET-based comp, which totally slays on drum tracks!!!

The 1/2 racks are each under $500...and the full rack is around $900. I got the two 1/2 racks with the adapter to mount them together as a full rack unit.

These are not just "real nice comps"...the will hold their own against the API, SSL, Obsidian stereo comps. I was ready to buy either an API or Obsidian comp, when I came across the Overstayers, and the reviews were all stellar. Everyone on Gearslutz raves and drools over them.
I'm not saying they are better than the other brands, just in that same quality, functionality range...and of course, they have their own flavor, but you gotta try them to believe!

I think that best compressor under $1000 thing was from 8 years ago when they came out and there wasn't much else that didn't cost a ton or suck a ton.

Miro, you like that FET 1/2 unit for vocals too, or the VCA 1/2 unit for vocals? What do you think of them for bass? My favorite for bass, and vocals (and snare too) is an 1176 if that gives you any idea of what I like.

Oh, and I also agree that most vocal compression is for the effect, not the dynamics control...I do all the volume stuff in Reaper's envelops, then use the compressor to add character.

I have not tried the Overstayers on vocals individually yet. I only used the big Stereo VCA on the mix bus of the last tune I did (it was the slow one in the previous HR song contest - "Valerie").

I got the two 1/2 units just before the holidays and haven't used them yet in an actual mix, but I did some demos with drums, as I wanted to see if the FET was as good on drums as all the Gearslutz guys were raving...and man, it just fantastic on the OH stereo pair. The variety of tone/dynamics flavors you can pull out with it were amazing...and then you can add some serious grit which is a whole other dimension. Very cool comp the FET unit.

I'll be working up a mix of a new tune probably in the next week or so...and I'll have a chance to try out all three on various things, but will most likely used them on stereo pairs. For vocals, if I use anything during mixdown, it's my ADR limiter, but as I said, I do most of the actual leveling in the DAW, manually....so the ADR is mainly used for flavor.

Yeah I really like fet based comps. But maybe adding a VCA would be nice. Thanks.

Sorry for the hijack arkade.

I've been using a loaner RNC on a Clevenger electric upright bass. I would describe it as soft and puffy, which works to soften the Clev's sound nicely. Haven't used it on anything else yet.

I currently use only compressor and leveling amp plug-ins, no actual hardware comps. I was considering purchasing a RNLA or RNC for my vocals but I am wondering how much of a difference it will actually make. Can anyone give me some feedback about hardware versus software for compressors.

Right now I am using an SM7B into an Art TPS II tube pre-amp. Most of my vocal problems are because I can't hold a note but I figure every little thing helps :p

You want to borrow one of each to audition them Wes?

You want to borrow one of each to audition them Wes?

That's tempting. I'll PM you - gotta help the wife get ready for a Valentines Day Dinner Party :0 - I'm making shrimp creole for 8! I chopped all onions and celery and peppers and crap and I smell like a cajun kitchen!

this post said you only use plug-ins, but your using a ART TPS ii right now, but its your vocal ability that needs work?

this topic is a one of those big learning moments i got form this forum, the preAmp...DMP3, and I qiuuckly added a RNC and it was great....I moved to a Joe Meek Channel Strip to see how far the buzz would go, but the DMP3/RNC was as good imo, but different. The VC1Q was nice as it was dedicated to the Vocals.

If you already have the ART unit, I doubt another medium level will make you sing better.

I'm listening to the story of the WHO right now and they arent pitch perfect but its great stuff, the songs the energy, so I also think of Neil Young too, great stuff.

you cant beat a chance to try one out for a few hours .... I tried a MP ART and didnt like it, I havent had much ART stuff I liked the tones of.

On the plug-ins I got hard up for cash and sold the JM VC1Q because I got close enough fiddling with plug-ins.

90% of my mixes suck, but its fun messing about. Thats an odd thing about advice, its sometimes like taking financial advice from a bankrupt bum, it doesnt make any sense.

good luck... SM7B is a great mic ain't it? luv that thing.

have you tried the UA plugs?

Last edited:
Back