Ritchie Blackmore Birthday

So not much love for Ritchie, clearly.

BTW, I believe he's 70, actually... at least according to Wikipedia...

Is this because when you look up "whipped" in the dictionary you'll find his picture?:D

I have a lingering fondness for the man, partly because when I was growing up, I used his guitar playing as an example to my father, who was a classical violinist (apparently) and who eschewed everything rock/pop, as evidence that rock musicians could actually play... I think it was Highway Star from MIJ which was the basis of my argument.

I saw DP in 72 on Boston Common. Blackmore hated being in front of audiences and spent most of his time with his back to the crowd. At the end of the set he threw whatever guitar it was he played into the air, let it smash down on the stage, then kicked it off the edge.

I see that DP is touring this summer - I assume without Blackmore.

I want to see his renaissance music collection! happy birlfdhee richard if you see this

Last edited:
For better or worse the members of DP shaped metal and hard rock. Richie, Ian Paice, Ian Gillam, David Coverdale, Rod Evans, Joe Lynn Turner, Jon Lord, Roger Glover, Nick Simper, Glenn Hughes, Tommy Bolin, Joe Satriani...it's like a who's who in rock.
Happy birthday, Rainbow Man.

We were raised on AM top forty as kids and I remember my bother bringing home Deer Purple Machine Head along with some Black Sabbath records and it blew my mind. They didn't play this stuff on the radio. The album was solid front to back and still holds up well today.

Back