Resonant Head question

nate_dennis

Hello, it's been ages since I've posted here. I'm glad to be back. I have to questions for you drum experts.

1. I know that resonant heads are important for toms but as I understand it, they're mostly important in live settings where volume is required. Would sound/tone be harmed if I recorded w/o resonant heads on the toms? I ask before I try it because I'm not sure of the answer to my next question....

2. I'm having a hard time finding resonant heads and I don't want to take the ones off that I have if I can't put them back on should I need to. Once I remove a drum head, could I put it back on?

Thanks.

(oh, btw, I just bought a kit from a friend and I don't know much about drums themselves. Sorry for the stupid questions.)

Actually, I would say the purpose for the resonant head is to provide sustained tone in the form of a user defined pitch as opposed to any volume oriented task. All things concerning drums (and recording) are subjective and totally dependant on what you are after.

The reso heads can be put on and off as many times as you want as long as you dont go nuts tightening them where they get all stretched out.

Why are you having a hard time finding reso heads? You just use the thinest heads you favorite company makes. For remo that would be the ambassador head.

The reso head is for tuning and resonance, not really volume. If you take them off, the tom won't be as deep sounding Andy will have to tune them dead to keep them from ringing uncontrollably. It will sound like the drums on a '70's record.

You will also have to tape up all the lugs because without threads putting tension on them, they will rattle.

+1 to what everyone else said.

I would advise against taking the resonant heads off. This isn't the dead 70's anymore, unless of course you want to sound like that. They're not just for live settings. Reso heads provide a lot of the character and tone of a tom. You can make a tom do a lot of different things by tuning the reso head different ways. It's an important piece of the pie that often goes overlooked and/or underappreciated.

You can re-use any head as long as it isn't all stretched out.....and after a while, they usually are. Reso heads are more forgiving for re-use because they don't get hit with sticks. Batter heads are usually done once you remove them. That's been my experience anyway.

As for which ones to buy....that's up to you. Like Farview said, usually the thinner models from any manufacturer are good for reso heads. Remo clear Ambassadors and Evans G1's are great reso heads.

If you do expeirment with no bottom head ,and you do end up liking the sound, I would suggest putting the heads back on but cut out like 3/4 of it, that way you wont have to deal with rattling lugs, plus it looks alot better IMO. Obviously they will all be ruined if you do that but its probably time to replace em anyway.

Like others have said, all in all, it really limits the overall sound, I personally dont like it.

Thank you all for the info on finding reso heads and what to do. I was under the impression that the heads would be marked as "resonant" heads. I think I may try it, just for kicks, but now that I know how to find them I will probably just keep with tradition and use resos. Thanks again.

Back