Repairs to old aborted tracks

rob aylestone

I've got a lot of old tracks that never got finished, and going through them, most are no loss really, but I found this one that needed a new bass, organ and piano - and the lead vocal had a few phrases that needed some work. No idea why it got scrapped, but I've fixed it with some re-recording and editing. Sadly, I've no idea where the singer now is. Not heard from her for years. probably married which makes social media difficult with no surname? Anyway - I don't think it's too bad. It still needs some work in places. Oddly what I would appreciate is comment on her accent. Us Brits try to copy American accents, but like when you US folk do British accents - it's quite tricky? Would it pass?

Attachments

• walkin in memphis anna 2022 v2.mp3
    9.6 MB
Maybe she is trying to do an American accent, but it doesn't really sound like one. Instead it sounds like a quirky way of singing, which is not unappealling.

It sounds like she's trying to do an exaggerated southern US accent, but some of the phrasing, like when she says "Walking in Meamphis" doesn't quite ring true. Most of the rest of vocal seems ok.

BTW, I was doing something similar with my old AW16G and AW1600 tracks. I had recorded some band practices around the mid 2000s, and mostly recorded the bass and drums. The idea was to put together practice tracks so I could keep my guitar playing sharp, and to work on the vocals. I never did that, but after about 15 years, I went back and added multiple guitar tracks and vocals to flesh things out. Then I shared them with a couple of the other guys that were in the band. It was fun going back and playing the songs again.

I'm not qualified to judge the accent but it sounds like the vocal is well ahead of the beat - it would probably sound much better if it was slid back in time a bit.

Back