(regarding music I compose) are online apps/services safe, from a copyright viewpoint??

beginner-HRF

Hi everyone

It was kindly suggested, to me, I try and use (for music I composed) a few online apps/services (stems-creators, vocals-removers, etc)

Although I am certainly NOT a great composer, my question is:: are online apps, services, etc, safe, from a copyright-viewpoint??

in advance, thank you very much for your kind help​

Last edited:
No - absolutely not. Most of the aggregators even incorporate wording into their uploading system that says "I confirm I have not used stems, samples or components of previously released tracks in this upload" They then even warn you that doing so means a potential removal of ALL your content. I take this as meaning that your own samples of stuff are fine, but if you lift a sample from a well known recording, you are on VERY dodgy ground. Having evidence of clearance would be suporting any takedown - but the hassle of uploading every single release again and losing all the stats and comments is a serious risk.

My own test is to use shazam on the section with a sample. If it identifies it, don't even think about it, because you can bet they will do the same test and Youtube certainly does. Sample packages are safe as they're licenced for you to use and most are too treated and variable to be identified as 'that flute from the XYZ collection' for certainty.

If you use a vocal removed, or you remove the vocal from a track and stick in your voice, they will find you and they will ...... you get the idea.

I think the OP is asking about using online services/aps (such as LANDR), not uploading music which contains sampled materials to places like SoundCloud.

Sorry everyone, my question is about music I compose. I've corrected my question and now it is as it should be.

Last edited:
hey guys im new here, back at the music making its been a long while 12 years since but im slowly set up and ready to go.. any tips on using audacity would be great im more of your cubase generation :)

Probably better in a new post - but I started with Cubase in 94 on an Atari - and am still a Cubase user. Audacity is to be honest a pretty decent and free bit of software, and pretty straightforward. If you loved Cubase - I'd certainly suggest carrying on with it. It's 'musical' and sensible, if a bit complex now - Audacity is sort of functional? It does loads of things but in a perhaps less musical manner?
Maybe the mods will move this topic?

Back