recording

E-NICE

I'am starting a home studio and I'am going to be using a computer to record but since a mixer is needed to record anyway which mixer do you recommend me to buy when recording with high quality mic as the Neumann U89.

Hey dude...
I recently spent many hours looking into this very question. I guess the answer is this...You need a mixer that has one insert point for every input on your sound card. There are many decent small mixers by Behringer, mackie, samson, etc. but although they are technically 8 track mixers, they only have 2, 4, or 0(!!!) insert points. this means you will have to mix your eight tracks into your mixer down to two or four tracks into your soundcard.
The cheapest mixer with eight inserts I found was an Alesis Studio 12R for around $360. Its a damn impressive mixer for the money. Im so pleased.

If you can believe what you read in the retailer's description, you don't need a mixer if you've got a card like the Aark Direct from Aardvark. Plus, it's cheap. Plus, it's 24-bit. Only disadvantages, you can't actually buy one at the moment, :) and you can only record two channels at a time. So, maybe not so good for people who want to record drums today, right away.

Please clarify that statement. Is there some manufacturer hold-up on sales due to an inability to meet demand for this card?

About the Aark Direct, my understanding is this: its release is being postponed while they upgrade it to '24-bit compatible'. I got this story from a company that supplies it. It was originally due in June, now late July. Also, I've been checking the 'News' page at Aardvark pretty regularly, and there's nothing there, either. All this is a bit frustrating, because it's the card I want and have been waiting for for about two months now. Hope it works when I finally get my hands on one. :)

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 07-08-1999).]

Back