recording vocals through guitar amp/miking said amp

captions87

My band is going to be recording a few tracks, and when it comes time to do the vocals, I'd like to get a tone similar to a tube amp with a good spring reverb, and I happen to have both, at least i have a tube amp, and a pedalboard with a decent spring reverb pedal. I'd be using a beta 57a to record the vocals. Now, to run the mic through my pedalboard, i plan on getting an xlr female to 1/4" cable, obviously, but does it need to be TRS, or can I get away with a plain TS. And if I do need to get a TRS, do I also need to get a TRS 1/4" to TRS 1/4" for running the pedalboard into the amp?

I know I know, I can just record it straight into my interface then mess with amp sims and whatnot, but I figure, if we already have the crap, might as well use it and try and get some unique sounds.

I'm pretty sure a TS will work just fine for running the mic to the pedal board and for running the pedalboard to the amp. The mic is a mono source so you shouldn't need to use a stereo cable.

I know you already mentioned it, but I have always recorded clean then sent that through the amp. To me to sounds better maybe because the amp is designed for an instrument level signal, and a mic straight in or through a pedal isn't enough. Maybe if you go into the preamp first then out to the amp it'll work, just keep the volume low to start with.

Most xlr to 1/4 are trs but I don't think it'll matter.

Yeah reamping is truly the way to go for the sake experimentation, over and over again with the same track.

alright, it seems the logical way to go is reamping, but my question is, do i require to now go buy a reamp box or DI box to do this? Would it be possible at all to set up an amp (or two for stereo), and plug those in the output jacks to make them my main outputs, like monitors, then play the vocals through that and mic the amps? Or will this just end in havoc and/or damaged goods?

I don't know how safe it is. I do know I've done it a bunch of times with no problems. I just keep the output volume very low and bring it up to make sure there is no damage.

Back