Recording to images

mr_coffeekiller

I've been trying to get into recording for short films but slammed into a brick wall at the first stage.

I use Cubase SX with reason through re-wire. Is it possible with this combo to sync tracks to movies/clips? Would I need anything else to do it? Watching video/dvd on my TV whilst at the computer just isn't working out. I'm not entirely sure why I thought it would :o

I'm also looking for a program that will strip the images of their sound so I can get some practice in at doing this. Any suggestions?

Any info regarding this line of work would be muchly apreciated too.

Cheers guys
CK

In order to sync sound to *external* video, you'd need to either sync to the video timecode, which would require that the video have timecode and that you have a playbeck deck that can send the timecode to your computer, or that you have "house black"; i.e. a master timecode generator/sync signal to which both the video and your computer could be slaved. This also assumes you have a both video format and deck as well as an interface for your DAW that can handle sync signal I/O.

Maybe the better and cheaper alternative if you don't already have the gear required for the above is to record/capture your video into your computer using a good firewire video capture card, and then pairing your audio with the video using a quality A/V editor. I'd personally recommend Sony Vegas, which is what I use.

Note, however, that with that second alternative, the only way to ensure that the audio and video remain synched (without external timecode reference) is to actually print the new video/audio back out to tape (or DVD), essentially creating a new copy of the video with your new audio on it. Without master sync, you cannot expect your seperate audio output and the original video (on different playback sources) to remaon synched for very long (especially if the video is on tape, even digital tape.)

As far as "stripping images of their sound", in a VNLE such as Vegas this is as easy as muting the audio tracks of a captured AV program.

G.

My Rigging Days

One of my first films I did...

Once the editing was done, I took the master tape and played the video direct out of one DV-VCR into another via analog cables. I split the audio off into my mixer and back into the recording VCR. I mixed in the computer at the mixer.

As the scenes went through, I hand-rolled the music off of a playlist and was able to mix the sources on a slider. You can even add post effects through an AUX that way.

Took a couple of tries to get it right, but the end result was worth it...

Most edit programs strip sound and non-linear edit. Try Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere. Makes things way easier, although not as fast sometimes as just letting the music find its own natural place in the video.

The randomization of the hand-rolling came up with some nice suprises in the final A/V mixture...

Back