Recording setup - microphone holder

risshuu

Looking for something that I can have up all the time so I don't have to pull out my microphone stand all the time. Would like some thing that can be screwed into the wall that holds my microphone that I can swing in/out whenever I want to record (probably every other day).

Found stuff like the below on Amazon, but isn't really what I'm looking for and seems kind of low quality.

Seems like quite a few there -all along similar lines I suppose. Can't speak of the quality.. Have or used a few of those clamp type holders not particularly fond of. What would you like different wise?
Have a look through these guys perhaps?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

I've got a few, and most are variations on the same design. They have one major disadvantage. they put considerable leverage on whatever you attach them to. You screw them nice and tight and then when you move the mic, the leverage on the surface is considerable and it crushes the edge. If it's chipboard under laminate, then you screw harder and then in a few weeks, its loose again, eventually the edge crumbles. It means in practice to move the mic up, you shove further than you need so it then drop down, and this kills some surfaces. So pay attention to that in any adverts. They're generally OK, apart from with really heavy mics. Studiospares and Canford in the UK do more robust ones but they're scary prices

Last edited:
I have had that "crushing" problem with a small vice that eventually buggered the chipboard worktop in my kitchen (fortunately, 'er indoors never got to see it!)

Obvious solution is some 3mm steel plates or some 'sacrificial' 6mm ply!

Dave.

If you put it on a wall, that's going to be a large diaphragm for everything going on in the house. So, make sure the arm will support a mic + shock-mount if you're putting a condenser mic at the end, and not a hand-held dynamic that already suppresses handling noise well. I'd probably look at a small form factor mic like an SM57 or small condenser with a shockmount.

I use a small boom stand made for micing a guitar cab and I set it on a stool, table top or any surface that will work. I also set it on the floor for micing acoustic guitars or percussion while sitting. Very portable and easy to stash.

Looking for something that I can have up all the time so I don't have to pull out my microphone stand all the time. Would like some thing that can be screwed into the wall that holds my microphone that I can swing in/out whenever I want to record (probably every other day).

Found stuff like the below on Amazon, but isn't really what I'm looking for and seems kind of low quality.

You can spend more with a slight increase in quality - Rode PSA1 - basically you will get a few more years of dependable use out of the thing.

I remember in the college radio station, we had a gooseneck bolted to the top of the board. It worked just fine. Just don't try to move it while the mic is live! It makes a lot of racket.

Those arms that clamp to the edge of a desk or table aren't a favorite of mine. I have a magnifying lamp that uses the same deal and it's not the most solid and reliable thing. I wish I had gotten one that screwed onto the workbench. They don't work if you have a desk without a good sized edge. I know someone who bolted a piece of wood to his desk just to clamp the boom arm on it.

Yellowtec is one of the industry-standard brands for arms and holders; they are high quality and they cost accordingly.
We have a number of them at work.

https://shop.yellowtec.com/pages/mika

In a lot of radio-style setups, these things are mounted flat onto the table surface, not up against a wall, using screws, not clamps.
This should help with the "gravity" issues as far as plates pulling off walls and such, and be safer for the mic.

C.

With reference to "screwing things to a wall" In a word? Don't! At least not directly. Take the goose neck mounting plate, that has c'sunk holes for screws, don't just bang it up with wall plugs. It WILL wiggle out.

Instead mount a piece of 19mm ply with at least 4 50mm screws on the wall (can be painted to taste) and screw the base to that. I also go nuts and drill pilot holes through the ply (can be MDF) into the brickwork and fill the holes with bath sealant or similar...THEN screw on the plate, or in my case wall brackets for monitors.

The technique works for anything wall mounted. Don't fit shelf brackets directly to wall, use batons. If mounting to plaster board even more important and do use aluminium PB screw in fixings. The plastic ones are ***t!

Dave.

Back